Chapter Eight

Dear Diary,

I thought I would be making my own way to the Consulate to get ready for the ball, but Grandma came here first and said she would give me a lift back with her when she was done here.

She came bearing gifts, and an apology for Mia. The gifts were in blue silk draw-string bags and there was one for both of us.

I pulled mine out at the same time as Mia and smiled at the book I had pulled out. It was light blue, like an icy colour, and had lots of beautiful designs carved into the leather cover. Keeping it shut was a belt along the front in the same blue with a golden Genovian crest on the front. The was a space for two love hearts in it, and my name was carved above the belt.

Mia's book was similar, but instead of being blue it was red, and it didn't have hearts on the crest, but a circle and her name was carved on it as well.

'They were presents from your father, found among his possessions. I don't know when he wanted to give them to you, but I wanted you to have them before we leave.'

I looked up at Grandma in confusion.

'I return to Genovia the day after tomorrow,' she explained.

'Thank you,' I said. Mia looked up from her book and smiled, biting her lip.
'This is great.'

She tried to open her book but it was kept shut by the belt, so she looked up again at our grandma, and I looked at her as well, not knowing how to open my book either.

'It's locked,' Mia said.
'Ah, yes, here, this will act as the key. This was from me, another family heirloom. Your father must have figured out I intended to give it to you for your sixteenth.'

She handed Mia a little box which had a gorgeous gold ring inside that had the Genovian crest on it.

'Thank you,' Mia breathed.

Grandma smiled and turned to me.
'If you open the locket I gave you, it becomes the key.'

'Thank you for bringing these down here,' I say, reaching up to take the locket off.

Grandma turned to Mia to apologise whilst I inspected the book. I opened the locket and placed it into the heart spaces on the belt, and it clicked open.

When I opened the book, the first thing that caught my attention was an envelope with my name on it, and the book was a diary.

Yes, my Dearest Diary, you're getting replaced cause you're old and ratty.

Just kidding, I'll fill you up first.

The envelope had my name on it and was a little creased, so I imagine it has been in the diary for a long time, also making me think it was from Dad, so I decided I would read it later when I didn't have an audience.

When I tuned back into the conversation, Grandma was telling Mia she believed in her.

'You know, people believe the princesses are supposed to wear the crown, marry the prince, always look pretty, and live happily ever after, but it's so much more than that. It's a real job.'

Mia looked thoughtful and smiled at the older woman. 'You are an extraordinary person grandma... But I don't think I'm meant to do this. I would be so afraid that I would disappoint the people of Genovia and I couldn't bear to disappoint you again. And Val deserves someone who can help her rule, instead of someone like me who just creates more messes to be cleaned up.'

I smile in sympathy and lean into Mia, pulling her into a little side hug on the sofa, minding the cup of tea in her hand.

'Well as I said,' Grandma started, 'I have faith in you.'
'As do I,' I added.