Chapter Two

Dear diary.

It's the next day and I'm sitting in Algebra, bored out of my mind. Andrew is sitting across the class making faces at me when the teacher isn't looking and I'm trying not to laugh.

Thank god I brought this diary with me so I can doodle in it.

.....

I was just assigned some English homework and I'm not happy. I swear Mr Anderson sets essays every week! How am I supposed to keep up?

.....

I regret taking art.

.....

I'm currently sitting in the cafeteria and ignoring Andrew as he laughed at my misfortune. I was just telling them both how my estranged grandmother is in town and wants to meet up for tea, and then complaining about how she is so fancy, and I will be uncomfortable having to be sat there in my ugly school uniform. At least I don't wear the blazer all day, unlike Mia. Those things are ugly.

I then started complaining about how I had no idea as to what to say, and I then came to the horrid revelation that I will have to act as a buffer of sorts for Mia because she is awkward as hell.

'Yeah but that means you'll have to do all the talking,' Sarah reminded me, much to my horror.

Not that I don't mind talking to people, it's just that it's hard trying to steer a conversation the right way with Mia around. She infects me with her social anxiety. And it doesn't help that the person we are going to meet is a posh relative that is practically a stranger. Let me emphasise the posh part, dear diary, and remind you that Mia and I are not that.

When I voiced these thoughts, Andrew started laughing.
'Good thing both my grandmothers are dead so I don't have to deal with that stuff. You're unlucky Val.'

Now I'm ignoring him because he is sort of right, not that he needs to know.

.....

I'm in the bathroom. One more hour to go before school is over. That reminds me. I better call the diner and tell them I can't make it tonight.

.....

I'm sitting in my car waiting for Mia to come so we can go meet the old woman. I'm starting to regret agreeing to go. The nerves are getting to me. Got to be strong for Mia.

God, I sound like I'm going to war or something.

She's here. Gotta go. Wish me luck Diary.

.....

I'm sitting in a fancy room with my sister, waiting for my grandma to show up.

The building we're in is big and beautiful, and the gardens are lovely. Speaking of which.

Mia embarrassed me so badly on the way in, and I have a sinking suspicion it won't be the last time, although I do want to laugh a little now. The poor girl looked so scared.

When we arrived at my grandmother's place, Mia pressed the button by the gate and a camera zoomed in on us.

'The school tours are on Saturday young ladies,' a pompous voice said.

Mia looked back at me in fright, clearly wanting me to do the explaining, so I took pity on her with a huff.

'We're here for a meeting with our grandmother.'

There was a sigh before the voice replied.

'Name?' he asked, bored.

I looked at Mia, eyes widened a little.