Chapter Four

Dear Diary

.....

French detention was cancelled (thanks Mom!).

Debate homework: write a speech with pros and cons about a topic from the given list.

.....

Don't mind my horrid handwriting, it's hard to be neat when in a car.

Nothing new happened at school today, although after I almost had a breakdown yesterday night after I chatted with Mia, I decided I need the support of my friends, so I arranged to meet with them at some point to talk.

I was nervous about that conversation because it could go several ways. After all, how does one react to the news that their best friend since kindergarten is now a princess in training?

Joe was driving Mia and me to our grandma's place, and Mia was trying to put the stockings on, which was making me laugh. I had put mine on in the morning and had ignored my friends when they asked me about it. Hey, what can I say? It was just easier than faffing around in the car like Mia was. Even if it did make great entertainment. I did however have to change my school shoes as the ones grandma wanted me to wear were new and I would have had lots of blisters if I'd worn them all day.

Mia fell over a million and ten times on the way there as the stockings were hard to put on when going up and down hills, and I laughed my head off.

'I've never put on pantyhose before,' said Joe from the front of the car, 'but it sounds dangerous.'

I laughed even harder, and still am.

.....

I think Grandma and Joe have a crush on each other. Not that either of them will admit it, but the way they're dancing together makes me think they have a thing.

Romance is in the air.

Princess lessons today were fun, for me anyway.

We started with lessons on dinner etiquette, and this included Mia and I being strapped to our chairs to help out with posture. I think. Not that I needed the help, as Grandma said. My posture was already perfect, so I don't actually know why I'm doing this. Oh well.

'Grandma?' I asked, 'Is it customary in Genovia to imprison your dinner gets with, um, with Hermeez scarves?'

'It's Herms,' Grandma said, pronouncing it in her fancy accent. 'The scarf is merely a training tool, eventually, you will learn to sit and eat properly without it.'

Mia struggled in her seat a little, and Grandma turned to her, pointing her pen. 'Manners matter.'

Mia just looked at her, reaching a hand forward to try and reach the pepper, but she was held back by the scarf.

'But enough etiquette for the day,' Grandma said, smiling at my sister.
'Now, Valentine, pay attention. Genovia does a lot of trade with Spain, so we prepare for that. The quickest way to a Spanish heart is dance.'

The dance lessons could have been fun, but we weren't very good at them and I have had memories connected to dance. Joe took turns teaching me and my sister, moving us around the dance floor, and dodging flying limbs. I was a quick learner (if I do say so myself) and have more grace than Mia, so I picked it up quicker, but I was by no means perfect. During the spin part, Mia accidentally elbowed Joe, and I tripped us both up.

It would be so easy to lie and say I was a perfect dancer, but this is my diary, so who is gonna read it? Truth is, I definitely could have done better, but I'm not used to this type of dance.

Mia was proud when she managed to do the spin bit without elbowing anyone (as she should be) and Grandma let us go early because of our accomplishments.