Chapter 54

I try to smile and laugh and drink with the others, but the dilemma doesn't stop gnawing on my mind all evening.

I won't do it behind their backs. I can't lie to them.

But I also need them to see reason. If they would just put aside their pride, and I could lower McGuffin's defenses even a little...

"What is it?" Ada asks. Her voice is low as she casts me a look, the two of us sat at a table together. "Is it all that business from before?"

"Tommy's so stubborn," I say. "If it was his idea, he'd be all for it. He just won't listen."

"There are ways to make him listen," Ada says calmly, sipping her wine.

"Not anymore," I say. "He hasn't... we haven't... we're just friends these days." I try not to sound too disappointed about the fact.

"He's still a man," Ada says. "And he's still Tommy. His one weakness is that what's under his belt can influence his decisions more than he'd admit."

I smile at Ada appreciatively. "I don't know. I think he's too angry with me, still."

But she glances up at me from beneath her dark eyelashes. "Ban, he hasn't take his eyes off you all night."

My cheeks burn, and I suddenly find myself unable to turn and check for myself.

"Come on." She takes me by the hand. "We are too young and too drunk to be sat down while music's playing this loud."

She leads us through a group of Peaky Blinder men, also too drunk to not be dancing, and then Ada pulls me in close. She moves against me and I can't help but grin, finishing my drink and setting the glass down on a table. I wrap my arms around her neck as we dance, and her skin is warm beneath my fingers.

She leans in and whispers, her breath tickling my ear, "do you trust me?"

Her hands are soft against the sides of my ribcage. "Of course," I reply.

"Follow me into the bathroom," she says. "We'll swap dresses, and then come back out like nothing's happened."

I gasp, and then laugh softly. "You are diabolical."

"And you will thank me for it." She kisses me on the cheek. "Come on."

We slip into the women's bathroom together. She clicks the lock on the door.

"Turn around," she tells me.

My skin tingles as she takes the zip at the nape of my neck and drags it down my spine. The soft fabric falls away easily, tumbling to the floor. I'm in lingerie and stockings, my heels tapping the stone floor as I step out of the fabric.

"Now you do me," she breathes.

The back of her dress is lower cut, already halfway down her spine. I tug the fabric away from her body before pulling down the zip, all the way to the fabric of her underwear. My fingers graze against skin.

"How did your date go?" I ask, as she turns around. I don't move my hands, and find them holding her hips.

"Very well," she answers. Her eyelids are heavy. "He wants to see me again."

She runs a fingernail along the hem of my bra, catching the lace.

"That's exciting," I tell her quietly.

"I might need some more practice before then," she murmurs.

She hooks her finger under my bra to pull me against her. We both release a soft groan as our lips meet, the taste sweet like fruit once more. My chest tightens and though my eyes are closed, I can feel I'm dizzy as her hands cup my breasts over my bra and she squeezes. Instinctively, without thinking, my own hands run down to her ass, and I feel my core clench as she gasps softly into my mouth in response.

"Your lingerie is so soft," I tell her.

"Maybe you should ruin it for me a little," she says.

Her mouth opens over mine as she pulls the cups of my bra down, exposing my breasts to the cool bathroom. My nipples harden for her as she brushes her tongue against mine, again and again.

My own hands trail to her chest and I trace the outline of her nipples through her silk bra, feeling them harden into stiff points beneath me. She whimpers softly, and I'm already getting wet.

But, as good as Ada feels, there's someone else who keeps entering my mind. Someone I can't stop thinking of. And it's as though she knows as she draws her hands away and rests them on my arms, both of us savouring the moment for just a second longer.

I smile against her lips as our kisses grow lighter. "We'd better swap dresses now," I say.

She nods in agreement. "If we take much longer, Tommy's probably going to bash the door in." She plants one last kiss on my lips. "And I don't want you too tired for my brother," she says.

We zip each other up into our new dresses, both drunk and laughing at our plan.

"I really do like this one," I tell her, admiring how the dress fits in the mirror and adjusting my boobs back into my bra.

"You can borrow it if you like," she says. "I hardly wear it."

We both check our makeup in the mirror — lipstick smeared all over our faces. I get a piece of tissue and move to wipe it.

"Leave it," she orders, her eyes shining as she pulls my hand away.

"I hope you're right about this," I mutter, dropping the tissue into the bin as she unlocks the door. "This could very well end with Tommy thinking up some new torturous punishment for me."

"I, for one, hope it does," she smirks, and we enter the pub.