Chapter 10

Benni was carried into the locker Room. Abdullah and Lucas had both been relocated to the replacements bench, but there was no way they could take any further part in the game. That left just twelve players to choose from with only one substitute to see out the game after Haas was poleaxed and laid out under the bench with an ice pack on his head.

All he could do was listen. Listen to the ebb and flow of the crowd, when some cheered and some groaned. Listening to guess which team had the advantage. Listening to hear if those noises revealed if one team or the other had scored.

He felt the pain, how could you not, despite the quick response of the game's emergency apothecaries. They dosed him with all manner of herbal mixtures and strapped his foot straight in a splint.

His body shook uncontrollably, and the sweat went cold on his skin. The wait underneath the stadium felt interminable. He had no inkling as to whether his two scoring plays would count for nothing or if he had helped to pull off an unexpected victory.

It was hard to tell if Benni had become accustomed to the ache which coursed through his leg like the River Reik in the bitterest of winters or if the painkillers that had been forced down his gullet were taking effect. Either way, the icy stabbing thawed and he was able to reassure himself that the injury he had suffered could be recovered from by wiggling his toes. No need for amputation.

He heard a rumble of cheers followed by a sustained applause. This was closely followed by slamming doors and distant, muffled shouting. Benni had never felt so removed from reality. He slung his left foot down onto the cold, stone slabs and turned his body in anticipation of the inevitable pain when his right foot followed. Gingerly, he lowered the injured limb and felt a stabbing pain bolt through his body. He yelped and his grip on the sides of the metal bed tightened. Now he had experienced what he desperately hoped was the worst of it, there was no holding him back. Benni looked for anything he could use for support and settled on a step ladder.

He held onto the edge of the bed with one hand and reached out with the other to haul the ladder to him. He flipped the wooden ladder over with the top step on the ground, the lowest rung under his armpit, and two other rungs held together with his hand. There was nothing to protect his foot further but that wouldn't stop Benni.

The anticipated pain nearly caused him to let go of the ladder, but he managed to hop forward. The door was just a few steps away. He shuffled to it, one cautious hop after another.

The flat top of the ladder almost skidded from under him, but he grabbed hold of one vertical runner with his other hand to steady himself.

The door to the infirmary burst open and threatened to knock him back to the floor. Benni wobbled backwards but Moritz lurched forward and grabbed his friend by the shoulders.

"We won! We won!" Moritz hugged Benni tightly and all Benedikt had the composure to do was squeeze the ladder under his armpit and grab Moritz as close as he could. If he didn't, there was a genuine risk he would slump to the ground. "Say something then!"

"I... like what? I... Go Renegades!" Moritz guffawed and pulled away, still holding Benni by the shoulders.

"Go Renegades!" he bellowed in reply. "How's the foot?"

"Sore. Bit swollen," he lied. "It'll be alright tomorrow. What was the final score?"

"Two-one. They got one back late on. The big geezer with the horns growing out of his shoulders."

"Ishtar. Good runner."

"Yeah, him. That fellow with the teeth wanted to shake your hand, but I think he's more concerned with detaching it."