19. whoops she might be less terrifying

Start from the beginning

"The lab is going crazy. There lead analyst just drops off the face of the earth to suddenly return in Paris no cares in the world. They are wondering where in the hell you got the money, as it wasn't from them." She cackles taking another swig of her drink, "I miss you though, your cubicle was filled with this bimbo. She runs her mouth twenty-four seven about her latest diet and how I need to dye my hair since it's not in season." She growls at the last part, shaking her drink slightly.

"Oh wow, didn't take long to replace me." My grumble is forced around the straw to take another long drink. The buzz behind my eyes starts to form from lack of food, thankfully. I want to be an easy drunk tonight. Mary continues to ramble about co-workers. Her simple gossip brings me from this fantasy world I have been tossed into, something I appreciate more than she could understand. Part of me clings to the normal and I heavily envy Mary for being able to balance both with grace.

"How do you do it?" I interrupt her rant about Stacey, a bitch in the office.

"Do what?"

"Handle being a wolf and working a human job?"

"Oh, that. Well... Since I'm unmated I have to provide for myself. Not that I mind, most mated women continue to work. The Alpha takes care of most our expenses himself, always making sure we have food on the table, but fun money? That's on us. However, I am one of the weird ones that wants to be pack focused. As Gamma and working full time, my life is planned to the minute and the burn out is real."

"Do you not get paid? To be the gamma or whatever?"

"It's an honor to hold rank in a pack. Being titled Gamma is more than enough payment. In the wolf world, I am one of the only females to hold true rank." She puffs her chest obviously proud of herself.

"And what does that mean?"

"Gamma is third to the Alpha. I'm his second right hand man. My personal responsibilities include monitoring warrior wolves, training schedules, maintaining equipment across the pack, and helping establish minor wolf order throughout the warriors themselves. If there's a battle, I'm the first they call on for advice and leadership. Like the Commander in Chief to the President in a way?"

"Wow that's badass!" The drinks getting to me, another male drops off a second. I grab it to chug as well. Mary blushes at my compliment.

"The second is called a Beta. You might have met Jackson around but not realized it. He sat across from me at dinner. His job is to manage pack relations between ourselves and other packs. He handles trades, new pack mates, and transfers." She coughs taking a shot that was set in front of her by an un-mated male, "But most importantly, if the Alpha was to be disabled, harmed, or have to leave for something like a honeymoon... he runs the pack in the Alpha's place."

"And if the beta is killed?"

"Then I would be temporary Alpha till the challenges."

Another shot, we throw it back together. The world starts to spin, "Challenges?"

She scuffs throwing her hands flat against the table, "Too many questions, come on, let's go shake our asses."

"Great idea." I mumble stumbling off the chair with her. Being drunk has become a personality trait for me, but it seems most wolfs indulge in one to many as well.

"No, we just have so much shit going on all the time, and this is one of the only ways we can let loose. Any other time our wolves keep us in constant check. When you shift, you'll fit right in." Did I say it aloud? Whatever, the information is cool.