Chapter 11: Maze Part Two

Start from the beginning

When Scarlet first starting the running she always lost her breath. Making her stop and her cheeks flush from the exercise and from Bruce stopping as well. Through her pants she asked how he could do it so fluently.

Bruce thought and mentioned "I just don't think about it"

"Thanks"

He had chuckled and explained further that he breathed through his nose and out his mouth. And with his thoughts, he thought about other things, happier things, that would distract him from the run.

"It's like flight mode" Bruce voice rung in Scarlet's head as she began to think of things. What Alfred was going to cook that night, if Jason was finally done being annoying, would Damian let her play video games with him tonight. However her thoughts stopped and so did her movements.

There was no reason why. She needed to keep on moving. The more she stayed still the more tired she would get. However, it felt like eyes were digging into her. Scarlet breathed in slowly before turning around to run again. However, this time a small scream came from her as she was met with one of the men. Before getting any chance to escape, she was gripped onto tightly and was pulled close. She tried pulling away, avoiding any eye contact to the clown face. "What should we do with her" the man turned towards the other clown. A taller man a couple steps away groaned walking towards the other guy. "The Joker said a million times. Don't actually hurt them. That's the gas job if the Bat doesn't get here. You're on thin ice messing with these kids" Scarlet was pulled towards the clown more. His hand grabbed her chin tightly to ensure she was looking directly at him "You know who this is?" Scarlet's capture turned with a hidden smirk behind his mask "This is the Wayne girl. You know how much money we would-" "You want us to be killed?" The taller one pushed him a little. His mask had an expression of a sad clown on his face.

"You know how much she could be worth? Bruce Wayne would pay fifteen,no. thirty , no, probably fifty million to get her back" His mask slowly turned back to Scarlet who began to tear up a little. Her eyes were hoping to catch onto anyone passing by. The shorter one continued "It's not like the Joker is here anyways"

"Well I'm not going to mess with the clown" the other one said trying to get them to back to working. He started walking up the corridor "Take her if you want but not in my name". Hearing those words, Scarlet started to shout and scream to get help calling for anyone near by.

"Shut it you!" She let out a cry as her hair was pulled.

"Just let her go your causing a scene- ah" the taller one fell to the floor grabbing his knee.

Scarlet was pushed to the side, hitting against the wall, before she turned and saw the shorter  man on the floor groaning as he held his head. Scarlet looked to the side again and saw Jake's face. His hand holding a metal crowbar with his shaking hands. He ran over and said "Are you okay?"

"Yeah" she spoke out holding her head "We better go quickly in case they they get better" Jake nodded and they began running side by side together. They were getting closer to the exit and Scarlet breathed heavily "Where did you go? Did you bump into anymore?"

Jake spoke about after they had lost him he hid in a classroom for a while. "It sounds pathetic. I was scared and thought if the crowd calmed down it would be easier to navigate. But seeing as these guys are everywhere it was such a bad idea" He was gripping the crowbar and spoke how he had found it in the janitors cupboard.

"Is Gotham always like this?" he raised an eyebrow.

"Always"

Suddenly they had ran into a fight scene. Guys were being thrown across or knocked out on the floor. The two teenagers both looked around and Scarlet jaw dropped a little in the process. In front of her was Nightwing, Starfire and Green Arrow. An arrow passed Scarlet'a face which quickly hit a clown. They didn't know if it was safer to try and escape or just to stay very still.

"This city is insane" Jake said with wide eyes.

After another goon was thrown by Nightwing he looked up. His whole body filled with relief seeing his sister in front of him.

"You kids! Go to the entrance now!" He pointed towards the massive doors. Ignoring how their bodies were frozen a second ago they both began making their way over. However on the journey guy, who must've forgotten the selected rules Joker had earlier on, came forward and forcefully pushed Scarlet to the floor. She called out as her hand landed in a weird position.

Nightwing witnessed the whole thing. He ran over dodging the other members before he took down the guy who hurt Scarlet. As he tried not to fully beat him up, Jake had lifted Scarlet carefully and they had finally made it outside. The sun had made their eyes water and the screeching police cars filled their ears. Jake and Scarlet were both at the top of the stairs and slowly were coming down.  

And all of a sudden, Scarlet started to cry.