America's Sweethearts

Start from the beginning

"He talks about you all the time. I mean, that song he wrote, he was super proud of it." Andy laughed. "Shit, the other night he slept over at my place and until he fell asleep, all he talked about was you."

Mikey would've started blushing. Or crying. Probably both. But the lifeguard yelled out that he needed to go down the slide, making him walk away from Andy and go down the slide. And holy shit it was going fast. His face was soon underwater, his eyes only opening when he was above the surface of the water. He found the edge of the let out pool, hoisting himself out of it. He blinked a few times, his vision less blurry, but definitely still blurry as ever.

"C'mon," Mikey felt a hand on his own, pulling him up off of the wet cement ground. He looked at Pete's face, rubbing his eyes.

"I'm basically blind."

Pete laughed. "I see that. Unlike you. But c'mon, there's something I wanna show you."

Pete lead Mikey through the bodies, ignoring some call coming from the lazy river about Joe and Taylor getting in a fight, finally getting to the far end of the waterpark. A few people walked past them, but for the most part, it was fairly scarce of people.

Pete pointed up at a water slide, except nobody was on the stairs leading up to it, the let out pool was empty, and no lifeguard was at the top. Mikey raised his eyebrows at Pete.

"What is this?" he asked, looking at the shorter boy. Pete smiled.

"The old water slide that nobody's bothered to tear down. If they did, it'd be a tear in my heart," Pete said, quickly grabbing Mikey's hand. Mikey's eyes widened.

"W-where are we going?" he stuttered, Pete quickly pulling him towards the water slide stairs. Why weren't they closed off? Pete laughed. Mikey wished his laugh was like Pete's: full of life, the sound of summer nights. Instead, his resembled more of a wheezing walrus.

"Up there," Pete said, pointing up to the top of the slide. "It's got the best sunset view. Don't be scared, Mikey Way."

"I'm not scared, I just don't wanna fall off of it," Mikey mumbled, starting to walk up the stairs, Pete now running up them, ahead of Mikey. Pete looked over his shoulder.

"If you started to fall, I'd catch you."

"What a catch."

- - -

"I swear to God, if I fall - " Mikey felt arms around his waist.

"You fucking won't," Pete said against Mikey's ear, then letting go of his waist and going up to one of the rails. He pointed to the city skyline, lit up by the setting sun. "Look at it!"

Mikey smiled, standing next to Pete. Pete looked at Mikey. He'd been with all kinds of guys before. Maybe he was a slut, oh well. He could've had the captain of the football team if he really wanted to. But there was just something about the tall and lanky brown haired boy that Pete really liked. The way he really liked coffee, the way he covered his mouth when he laughed. Pete was scared as hell that whatever they had wasn't going to last, that it'd fade off.

He didn't want to stop the early mornings with Mikey.

He didn't want to stop anything with Mikey Way.

He was supposed to love him.

"Hey, Mikey," Pete started, tracing his fingers on Mikey's arm, "what are we?"

Mikey blinked at Pete. Was the notorious Pete Wentz having feelings?

"I - um - I don't know." Mikey watched Pete's fingers longer over where the Sharpie messages had once been. "What do you want to be?"