Birthday Barbeque

"I'm thinking about going back to my book series," Lily told Elizabeth as they sat next to each other, getting pedicures.

"That's amazing!" Elizabeth had been Lily's most ardent cheerleader ever since they had met.

"I just...I want to write it but what if it doesn't sell like the last ones. Is it dumb to work on that instead of doing more ghostwriting? Those are always popular."

Elizabeth shook her head firmly. "I don't think it's ever dumb to follow your passion. You should definitely do it."

Lily smiled at her. "Thanks, friend."

"So..." said Elizabeth, none too subtly changing the subject, "How are things going with you and the cutie?"

"Do you mean Ben? The professional trainer that I am working with, professionally. That guy?"

"That is who I mean," said Elizabeth with a smile.

"Well, my arm didn't become infected and fall off, if that's what you mean."

Elizabeth ignored her. "Chris and I were thinking about inviting him to Chris's birthday party this weekend."

Lily's eyes felt like they might bulge out of her head. "That would be so weird! You don't even know him!"

"It's just a casual barbeque. And Chris wants to thank him for letting him switch the training sessions over to you."

"You know that's not why you want to invite him. Would you two please have a baby or get a new hobby so you aren't so focused on my love life?"

"I just don't think I can have a baby until you're all squared away, romantically speaking. Besides, Chris already texted him, and he said he'd love to come. This way, you don't have to go a whole week without seeing him!"

Lily didn't both answering; she just slumped in her chair and sighed.

On Saturday, Lily arrived early to the party, feeling like an embarrassed teen whose parents were meddling in her life. She went into the kitchen and dropped the salad she brought with her forcefully on the kitchen counter.

"You're here!" Elizabeth said happily, clearly unwilling to be pulled into a fight before things had even gotten started.

"Has anyone else gotten here? Any inappropriate invitees?" Lily asked, still trying to get a rise out of her.

"Chris!" Elizabeth said, committed to ignoring Lily's attitude, "Lily's here!"

"Tell her to come keep me entertained while I grill!" Chris shouted from the backyard.

"Hello, birthday boy," Lily tried to maintain her icy tone but then gave up and hugged Chris. "How's the day been so far?"

"Great! Did Elizabeth tell you we invited Ben? I'm so excited to meet him!"

From inside, Elizabeth yelled, "I told you not to talk to her about Ben! She's being very 'Lily' about the whole thing!"

"I'm sorry," Lily said, "are you using my name as an unflattering adjective?"

"Not unflattering, per se. Just very down on romance. And stubborn. And unwilling to accept our awesome meddling."

Lily laughed in spite of herself. "That is both incredibly specific and unflattering."

Later, Lily was enjoying a burger while she chatted with one of Chris's sisters. Someone touched her arm, and she heard a "Hey, Lily." She turned to see Ben standing there, beer and hot dog in hand. Lily felt a flutter inside of her at the sight of him that she very much hoped was the fault of too much grilled meat, and not her inappropriate crush.

"How's your arm?" he asked worriedly.

She held it out to him. "Almost as good as new. I think the stitches are dissolving."

"I still feel so guilty. I promise things are going to turn around next time."

"Like I told you," said Lily, "It's not you; it's exercise. It's nice to see you when nothing is trying to kill me, though. I hope it's not too weird that Chris invited you. They can be a little...awkward."

"No, he and his wife seem so nice. They didn't need to invite me, it was no big deal to switch the sessions, but they just must be really kind people."

"Mmm-hmm," Lily agreed noncommittally, glad at least that Ben couldn't tell that they were trying to set the two of them up.

She introduced him to some of Chris's family and a few of his friends that she knew, studiously avoiding any of the finance bros in attendance. Unsurprisingly, he was charming and friendly with everyone, easily able to talk to them no matter what they were into. Finally, the two of them ended up sitting at a picnic table in the corner of the yard, enjoying a slice of birthday cake.

"Is this cheating on your true love, exercise?" Lily asked, motioning to the cake.

"Never. She is very understanding. Just not with you," Ben responded with a laugh.

"So, what are you normally doing on a Saturday night?" Lily asked.

"Working, or working out, or sometimes hanging out with friends. Some people I went to high school with have moved back to the area, although most of them are married with families by now. How about you?"

"Working, or hanging out with Elizabeth and Chris, or going on questionable dates, before I swore it off."

"Have you really? Sworn off dating? I know you said that at the bar but I thought you were joking. Or still recovering from that date."

Lily sighed and brushed her hair back from her face. "It's just so hard to meet anyone I actually like and have things in common with, you know? I just don't think true love's in the cards for me."

Ben took a sip from his beer, looking at her from the corner of his eye. "It just seems a shame. For the dating world I mean, to be missing out on someone like you."

Lily smiled without looking at him and sat, enjoying his company in the quiet.