Chapter 1

After hours of on ground drills before hours in the sky showing off one another's skills, Selene was finally in the locker room, ready to change out of her gear and into more comfortable civilian wear

After hours of on ground drills before hours in the sky showing off one another's skills, Selene was finally in the locker room, ready to change out of her gear and into more comfortable civilian wear. Despite how much work and effort she put into the day, she still felt more alive than she had felt in years. It was her first day of training at Top Gun and she had absolutely killed it.

Just a few lockers over, one of the only other female pilots occasionally looked over at her. The only people Selene had talked to her entire time there so far had been her instructors, Bradley, and unfortunately Jake Seresin. It had been a busy day.

"Hey, you're Lang, right?" The woman asked, leaning against the locker next to Selene's. "The one that made Seresin cry?"

Selene looked up in amusement, "Did he really?"

"Damn near close." The woman snickered. "I swear to god, I saw tears in those eyes when they calculated your speed."

Selene started laughing, "I would've paid good money to see that."

"I'll keep it in mind for next time." The woman promised. "Natasha Trace."

She offered a smile, "Selene."

"How did-" Natasha started, changing her mind last minute. "Never mind."

Selene shrugged on her shirt, pulling her hair out of the collar before looking back over at her, "How did I what?"

"It's just-" She sighed, struggling to find the words while Selene waited patiently. "You fly like you've been behind the yoke your whole life. You're a natural up in the air, we all saw it."

"And you wanna know how I do it?"

"Weird thing to ask, I know."

"No, I don't think so." Selene shook her head quickly. "I just- don't have a solid answer for you. I just get in the seat and it's instinct from there on out." Just as easy as breathing.

Natasha nodded in understanding, "Something that just can't be taught."

"Trust me, I don't think you need it." She promised. When she was watching Natasha fly, it was obvious she took pride in what she did. It looked almost effortless. "From what I saw today, you're one of the best pilots here and since we're all the best of the best, that's saying something."

"Thanks." Natasha grinned. "I work my ass off."

"Yeah, I get it." Selene nodded. "It's a boy's club out there. No matter what they do, they'll always be the 'best' so we've got to work at least three times as hard to be perceived as half as good."