- A great job that is!

I looked at Soap with great suspicion. I wasn't sure of why he was so eager to compliment me, but if it was his way to sound approachable, he was failing. I decided to give in to his forceful attempt to socialize with me and see where that would go... I was hoping it wouldn't go sour.

- Elise seems to be very attached to the masked Lieutenant over there.

- Oh, you mean Ghost?

- Yes. Isn't she your girlfriend or something?

- Wait, wot?!? - he immediately got flustered and started blushing. - No, she's not my girlfriend!

- Oh, my apologies for assuming...!

- She's just my best friend, eh... - his fluster dropped to a resigned expression. - Ghost is her husband.

- He's her husband?!?

Soap nodded in affirmation. I was taken aback upon hearing that, as I was firmly believing that they were both together...
I started to observe the whole situation and noticed how Elise was towards the masked man. Her gaze was soft, her eyes were gleaming in wonder, pure adoration. She was frantically fidgety, fighting the urge to touch him... Obviously trying to keep the military decorum while in public.

The masked man that they called Ghost, was teasing her discreetly, maintaining a deep eye contact and slightly caressing her arm. Although he was covered from head to toe, he exuded a mysterious seductive aura and an alluring demeanor. Even if he wasn't endowed with a nice appearance behind the mask, the way he carried himself was indubitably attractive.

Soap was visibly uncomfortable, seeing his 'best friend' being so loving and attentive towards her own husband. It seemed like jealousy was at play, based on his behavior regarding that whole scenario. Judging by what I witnessed so far, a possible love triangle was formed or an affair was happening. In any case, I wasn't there for gossip, but oh boy I wouldn't have boring days.

- I guess my work here is done. Are you okay, Soap?

- Not really, Angie. - he was frowning. - Wanna get some coffee at the cafeteria?

- Fine by me. - I lined out a soft smile.

As we left for the cafeteria, I felt Elise's glaring eyes upon me, giving me chills down my spine. I recollected myself and kept walking; it wouldn't be a dirty look that would stop me.

I've sat down at the cafeteria table; Soap offered himself to get my order. He returned with a tray containing our coffees and some pastry. That man is such a sweet tooth... But the smell was amazing.

- There ye go, Angie; your coffee.

- Thank you! - I took a quick sip.

- No problem!

For an endless minute, we enjoyed our coffee in absolute silence. Soap seemed urgent to talk, but at the same time seemed hesitant, bashfully eating his pastry. I decided to break the ice and give him the opportunity to open up.

- What's chewing you alive?

- Oh, well... Is it obvious like that?

I nodded in affirmation while calmly sipping my coffee. He pursed his lips in defeat, finally more inclined to speak up. He scooted his hips on the chair to get closer, hunching towards me.

- I'm not very supportive of their relationship... Although they love each other, sometimes it feels unhealthy.

- I'm not familiar with the dynamics around here... Care to share some context?

- Okay, I'll try to resume. - he took a big sip of his coffee. - Long story short; I've met Elise first, but she had her knickers down her ankle for Ghost. I dated her for a while, but I messed up.

- Define "messed up", Soap...

- I cheated on her.

I looked at Soap with widened eyes. I couldn't believe in my ears; and he was just there staring at me dead serious. I cleared my throat and took another sip of my coffee, trying to recollect myself from the shock. He then proceeded like no impact was made.

- I was still flirting and sexting some lassies while still dating Elise. Fucking immature behavior, but deep down I knew why I was doing that.

- And what was the reason?

- I didn't want to get too attached; I knew we would eventually break up. Her attention was on Ghost, she admited it later.

- Well, that was quite selfish... From both sides.

- I know, I was being an eejit! - he took a big bite from the pastry. - And I thought that I could get over her, forget my feelings... Which it never happened.

- So, you keep a close friendship with her just because of that?

- Nae, we are really friends. But... It's complicated.

- We have the time.

- When I'm hanging out with Elise, all I want is her. And she knows that.

- Instead of backing away and setting boundaries, you let her use you?

- "Use" is a strong word, Angie...

- Because it's exactly what it is, Soap! - I was losing my composure. - She uses your feelings to her own benefit! Apó tous Theoús...!

- What did you just say? - he chuckled.

- It's greek; I said "by the Gods"!

- Ah, you're greek, you've mentioned that. - he smiled.

- I'm honestly concerned about you, Soap. This situation is indeed unhealthy.

- You're concerned about me?

- As your field medic; yes, I am. - I took the last sip of coffee and got up, ready to leave. - From now on, you have a daily appointment in my clinic to talk about these issues.

- Okay, Doc! - he chuckled. - But that's the job of our psychiatrist and therapist.

- Unlike them, I won't write about sexual misconduct on your psych evaluation, think about that... - I lined out a pawky smile.

His face slightly blushed once he understood what I meant. I left him with his thoughts while I was heading to Mrs. Laswell's office.
As I crossed the hallway between sectors, I saw Ghost leaving an office. The man was both enticing and intimidating for absolute no reason.

- Good day, Lieutenant.

- ...Doctor.

- Nice to make your acquaintance.

- What you want? - his gravely voice was unsettling.

- Just wanted to formally introduce myself, nothing much.

- I see. Dismissed, Doc.

- I'll be on my way.

As I turned my back to enter Mrs. Laswell's office, I felt a strong grasp on my arm; such grip that I thought my wrist would break. Ghost easily held me there, like a twig about to snap. His eyes were darkened, like a demon on the verge to lunge at my soul.

- Let me warn you: I won't accept medical assistance from you. Nobody touches me besides Elise. Understand?

- Does she have a degree in medicine? Impressive. I hope she knows how to perform surgery.

- Snarky, arent ya?

- Just stating my job in here, Lieutenant.

My heart was pounding.
I was secretly terrified of that mountain of a man trying to use intimidation tactics on me just for the fun of it. Maláka!
His snicker was enough to make my skin crawl, and he noticed that. He had promptly let go of my arm and kept walking, like he just had his secret prize. I was diving into a mess that I wasn't sure if I wanted to be in it...