Plan in Action

With a comically heavy bag hoisted upon his shoulders, getting places quickly wasn't easy. Still, he went about as fast as he possibly could without running. Anything to get out of that hellish situation. Sure, it would be easier to simply tell Kokomi how he felt.. but somehow, that seemed like an impossible task. Every time the thought crossed his mind, Ajax would feel faint and helpless. Sometimes he thought he feared rejection more than he feared death itself.

A large and colorful banner hung over the foyer like a country's flag. It read in big and bold: STARFELL HIGH SCHOOL. Underneath beamed a giant mitachurl, standing proudly. It held a golden-rimmed shield and had a fierce eye. The bottom of the banner wrote "home of the mitachurls" in cursive calligraphy as it draped the walls above the cafeteria entrance.

Ajax made his way down the hall and entered through the double doors, sighing at the size of the lunch line.

Archons...that thing is massive..

For a moment, he had an image in his mind of an epic battle to the front of the line. The cafeteria was a war ground and he had conquered above all, reaching his prize in a remarkable victory. He soon snapped out of this daydream once he saw what was being served. Nachos?! God, ajax loved nachos. He couldn't have been more desperate to be at the front right now. Maybe this day isn't going as bad as I thought it would.

The young man grabbed his lunch, took a chocolate milk, and punched in his lunch number. As he descended from the line, he ran through the back doors and straight outside to his usual spot. Right next to his best friend and captain of the football team. Many seemed to think he had an overwhelming personality, but Ajax felt right at place. He thought their personalities clashed together in a beautiful harmony that could only ever exist in a perfect reality. Only it was happening right here-- in Teyvat.

"Heyyy, Itto! My man!" Ajax set his tray down on the table, freeing a hand to slide their fingers and fist bump. "How's the team? I heard Huffman quit."

Itto choked on his applesauce. He didn't expect him to know about this so soon; as it only happened this morning. He felt almost embarrassed. "O-oh, that? Yeahh... he quit. That's okay! He just couldn't handle Arataki Itto! I was such a great captain!"

"Well, what did he say? Why'd he do it?" Ajax was at the edge of his seat. He was quite close with Huffman, so this was news to him.

"...'Said he was overwhelmed." Itto mumbled under his breath, shoveling applesauce into his mouth in hopes he might not have heard him.

This was only partially true. Huffman was definitely overwhelmed, just maybe not because of Ittos reasoning.

"How'd your test go? 'You pass?"

Ajax sighed. "How am I supposed to know if I passed? it was awful.. Kokomi sat right next to me the entire time. She even had the audacity to say hello !"

"What's wrong with saying hello? Shouldn't you be happy about that? You've liked her since sophomore year."

Ajax has had a crush on Kokomi since he was 15. He could clearly remember the day he caught feelings. It was april and starfell was hosting a spring formal, everyone showed up to school in the nicest dress-clothing they owned. As soon as he caught a glimpse of Kokomi's dress, he was in awe. it was a beautiful sparkling-blue with puffed sleeves and a ruffled skirt that fell just above her knees. Kokomi knew Ajax from middle school, so she'd come up to him and ask if she looked good. Giggling and twirling to allow him to see the back of the dress which wore a neat bow tied at the waistline. Ever since then, he's been practically infatuated.

"I told her, 'Hey! nice shoes!' last week. She clearly couldn't tell I was flirting with her. We're now enemies-- but also lovers. She just doesn't know it yet." Ajax angrily took a bite of his nachos, still taking the time to savor the taste.

Itto pondered this. He sat there in thought, theatrically rubbing his temples as if he were a grand genius at work. Suddenly, an epiphany hit. "Hey, what if you like... made her jealous, y'know? Flirt with someone else. Then she'll want you all to herself!"

"Oh Yeahh. Yeahhh! You're right!"

"When am I not?"

Ajax took Ittos advice into some serious consideration. I mean, it all made sense to him. If he couldn't get Kokomi to notice him before, this would surely work, wouldn't it? This may seem morally wrong to a lot of people, but ajax wasn't a lot of people. He was in love. He'd do anything to win her over.

"So it's been decided. I'll-... I'll find someone. yeah. She'll be so repulsed at the sight of me loving anyone else that all she'll want is to be with me! Itto! You're a genius!" He had his plan locked into place, and now all he had to do was pursue it.