26. One step closer

Vedika's birthday.

He grabbed his mobile to confirm the date.

"Man," he chided himself, "should have remembered na!!"

Without wasting any second, he made a call to Tarun and rushed into the bathroom. He hurried in the shower. He pulled out the first dress his eyes fell on and dressed up quickly. He combed his hair vaguely then tossed the hair brush and stepped out of his room.

As soon as he got into his car, his phone got connected with the car bluetooth and several notifications popped up on the screen.

He slid on Adi's name.

"...coming right away..." he informed Adi.

On the entire way to Shashi's house, nothing occupied Ram's thoughts except making it to the party as soon as he can.

He passed off his keys to a valet and rushed towards the Babbar's house, hoping he is not too late.

As he stepped into the house, he heard people clapping. He continued to walk, ignoring that the celebration had already begun.

One. He was late. Two. Late or not, has anyone ever waited for him that they will wait today?

He kept on walking towards the crowd who had gathered in the center of the hall as Shashi spoke, smiling apologetic. He held one of his ears while holding a bouquet of white lilies – which Tarun arranged while getting his car ready – in the other hand and mouthed sorry.

She eyed him angrily.

Escaping her death glares, he dared to speak. "Jaan, sorry na."

She folded her arms and looked away.

He stood in front of her, smiling with his ever so cute (and apologetic) smile.

She stepped away, he followed her.

He held his ears, even the right one, holding the bouquet in a way that appeared like he has put bouquet of white lilies in his hair.

She resisted to take a look at him.

"Sorry, maaf kar de." He scrunched his eyes and tiled his head. "I had put my phone on silent mode last night. And, forgot to change it later," he began to explain.

Her scowl faded, only slightly.

Owing to Vedika's birthday, like every year, she had planned to visit office and accompany him so he doesn't go into his I-am-fine-I-am-happy depressing zone.

When Adi informed her about his leave and stay at Shivina's house, she was happy that this time instead of finding ways to isolate himself from the world, he chose to be with people. She was relieved and so she let him be.

But the entire day passed, he hadn't talked to them. To make it worse, he even failed to receive their calls or reply them. And now, he came to the party half and hour late.

Although she was angry with him, really angry, it was far difficult to not forgive and ignore that cute puppy face, not to miss the bouquet flowers on his head.

"Yeh pehli aur akhari baar," she said, at last.

"Pakka," he promised.

They traded a look, then giggled at their childlike settlement.

Few minutes later, he felt her eyes on him, so he inched closer and whispered, "I know I'm very good looking, but you can't do this to Adi..."

She giggled noiselessly, her eyes still on him.