21. Always. Forever

"Mr Kapoor!" she yelled and furrowed her eyebrows, as she saw the back seat of the car loaded with bags, which seemed to be shopping bags, and glittery wrapped boxes.

"You said it won't be a gift." She pushed the door close and refused to get in the car. "No gift as Return gift, your words, remember?"

"Yes." he got down from the car and rushed to her. "And I'm not gifting you anything. Nothing here is for you."

"Trust me," he assured her and pulled open the door.

****

"After long time," he said as they walked along the seashore.

"Don't you stay at Bandstand? Samandar ke samne?" she interrupted.

"Enough of the samandar taunt now," he grumbled.

"It was a statement. You practically stay beside, no, near the ocean."

"Doesn't imply I visit beach every day," he replied.

Then, he dropped his shoes at a spot, suggesting her to sit.

They sat there in silence for sometime.

There was a strange calmness he felt while sitting with her; unlike the rush he had experienced when he was here last time, which didn't let him visit this place for years that it was almost forgotten.

Even today, he wouldn't step here, if it was not for her.

Ram was overwhelmed after celebrating his birthday with Priya. He spent days for finding a perfect return gift for her. She had went above and beyond to make his birthday special.

If he had to do something, it had to be unusual, exceptional—memorable

He knew she would reject anything he gives, owing to its expensiveness. Ram tried to asked her favorite stuff but she declined and made him promise 'no gift as return gift'. If he plans anything fancy-food, cinema, etc—she might go along with him, even appreciate, but wouldn't really relish it.

Thus, to find best surprise, he talked to Twinkle — tricked her into talking about Priya.

He thought he would experience the similar rush again. Weirdly, he felt serene.

The soothing wind, sitting on the beach, feet covered with Marine sand, watching the tides come and go at shore, the giggles and chatters of families, and being accompanied by someone made him happy again.

"So you haven't really visited beaches, oceans in a while?" she asked in an attempt to initiate the conversation as he did not speak since the samandar banter.

He shook his head. "Not in years. How about you?"

"Me neither."

"Ek aur baat common," he chuckled. "I missed being here."

"You seemed to like this place very much. Why didn't you come?"

He faltered. "Mm, got busy with work, life," his voice trailed off, trying to find a incontestable reason. "You?"

"Same. Work, life..."

"Being here reminds me of my childhood. I remember coming here with dad. In the beginning, it was just two of us—according to my non-blurred memories. We would travel in bus for some 20-25 mins to be here. It was fun. We strolled, ate, played, enjoyed a lot. Gradually, more people joined us; Dad, Mom, Shubu, Shivi, it was getting more and more exciting each time." He briefly lost himself into the old times. "Dad loved taking us to different places. This was his favorite thing to do."