| chapter eighteen |

Beginne am Anfang

Stu throws one of his hands up, giving Phil a short glare. "Hallelujah. Finally, Phil says something that makes sense." He seemed both happy but annoyed at the taller man's conclusion.

"No! No, no, we can't call Tracy. It will kill her," I stuttered, pushing myself forward, our argument dissipating as I sent Phil a doe-eyed look shaking my head. "I can't- we can't!".

Being a part of the reason for my best friend's heartbreak made me feel like I could fall into a panic attack at any moment.

"We don't have much of a choice, Lexi." Phil huffs, pinching the top of his nose and sounding remorseful before he glances at Stu with a shrug. "Maybe she's heard from Doug."

"That's what I've been saying this whole time." Stu reiterates as I bite my lip. I wanted to call Tracy and tell her everything like I've always been able to do, but my parent's harsh words about my being able to fuck up every good thing I ever had echoed in my mind.

Stu pulls the car to a stop at a traffic light. Phil sighs, rubbing her face sounding as tired as we all felt. "We just need to be completely honest. We need to tell her everything."

"We don't have to tell her everything. We can leave out the stuff about me marrying a hooker. Just stay focused on Doug." Stu mumbled as I huffed a laugh. He'd be so lucky. No doubt Alan will tell everyone about it when we're back in LA.

"What am I gonna tell my dad?" Taking his hand, I gave him a small smile as he looked at our connected hands in shock. His eyes softened on the small plastic ring I had yet to take off my finger.

Phil turns to face Alan as the man sounds close to tears. I would be, too; we all know how much Mr. Garner loves this car. "Alan, relax. It's just the inside. Come on. I got a guy in L. A. Who's great with interiors".

Suddenly the car is slammed into and pushed across the road as the window smash on mine and Phil's side. My head hits the car door, causing my vision to double. Alan quickly latches on to my arm as we all scream.

The car hits an electric sign before it drops down through the roof, narrowly missing my head, though I see two of the signs in front of me. "Lexi?! Are you okay?" Stu gasps as I hold my head in my hands dizzily.

"I know that guy. That's the guy from the trunk," Alan exclaims. Opening one eye, I peeked through the front window and noticed that the small Asian man was definitely the one who had hit me with a crowbar before.

"Get out of the car. Please," He says with an angry expression; his demeanor seems different than earlier. He must be feeling tougher now he's got his 6ft goons with him.

"W... W... Wait. Those are the guys that shot Eddie," Stu says, stuttering, now noticing the same men I had.

I couldn't say anything as Phil was yanked out of the car shouting as he went before Stu was pulled out next, kicking and screaming. "Don't worry, Lexi, I'll save us," Alan whispers clumsily, climbing over me as I let out a pained groan.

"Get this other one. Get the fat boy". Next thing I knew, Alan was forcibly removed from the car, albeit harsher than the other guys, and it took both men to pull him out together.

"Don't forget the girl" Feeling a hand grab my arm, I groan, knowing what's about to happen. Stu and Phil are shouting in protest when they see the guy holding a bag leaning through the window.

Shockingly instead of being forcibly removed, the satchel guy lifted me out of the window with the same gentleness you would give a baby. "Don't you hurt her!" Phil yells as he and Stu are being pushed back by the other goon.

When my feet touched the ground, they buckled before two pairs of hands pulled me towards them. I didn't have to be coherent to know the feeling of Phil's body.