Herbs Q-S

Q

Quassia
Love.

Quince
Happiness, luck, and protection from evil. Carry quince seeds in a red flannel bag to protect against physical attacks and harm. Use quince seeds in charms and spells pertaining to protection, and happiness.

R

Radish
Protection

Ragwort
Also Called: Faerie's Horse
Courage. Used in charms to ward off evil spirits. Associated with faeries.

Raspberry Leaf
Used for healing, protection. Raspberry leaves are carried (NOT EATEN) by pregnant women to reduce the pain involved in pregnancy & childbirth.

Red Clover
Also Called: Cleaver Grass, Mari Grass, Cow Grass, Trefoil, Purple Clover, Wild Clover
Magickal uses include fidelity, love, money, protection, and the blessing of domestic animals. Carry to aid in financial arrangements. Sprinkle around the home to remove negative spirits.

Red Willow Bark
Magickal uses include meditation and clearing. A fabulous incense wood with a sweet and dry aroma.

Rhubarb
Fidelity and protection

Rice
Rain, fertility, money, and protection. Use in money spells and fertility charms.

Rose
Magickal uses include close friendships, domestic peace/happiness, and lasting relationships. Great for use in incense, potpourri, or bath magick. Place around sprains and dark bruises to help them heal faster.

Rose Geranium
Averts negativity, especially in the form of gossip or false accusations.

Rose Hips
Used in healing spells and mixtures, brings good luck, calls in good spirits.

Rosemary
Also Called: Elf Leaf, Sea Dew, Polar Plant, , Compass Weed, Mary's Cloak, Stella Maria, Star of the Sea
Associated with Faeries
Carried and used in healing poppets for good health, worn to improve memory, used in dream pillows to prevent nightmares, burned as incense for purification and removing negativity. Wear or carry while reading or completing tasks to improve memory of the material and aid clear thinking (great for students!). Use an infusion of rosemary to wash hands before any healing magick. Use in bath magick for purification.
Can use as a substitution.

Rowan
Also Called: Mountain Ash, Delight of the Eye, Quick Bane, Ran Tree, Rowanberry, Thor's Helper, Witch Bark, Tree, Wild Ash
Protection, magickal power, success, anti-haunting. Use leaves and berries in amulets for healing and promoting psychic powers. Also good for use in luck spells and mixtures. Rowan wood is often used to make wands and divining rods.

Rue
Also Called: Herb of Grace, Herb Grass, Garden Rue, Mother of herbs, Goat's Rue
Magickal uses include healing, health, mental powers, freedom and protection against the evil eye. Use as an Asperger to cast salt water for purification of the circle or removing negativity from the home. Hang the dried herb indoors to help yourself see and understand your mistakes. Burn to banish negativity or unhealthy habits. Add to incenses and poppets to prevent illness or speed recovery. Add to baths to break hexes and curses that may have been placed against you.
[Warning - Rue should not be handled by women who are pregnant.]

Rye
Fidelity, and self-control

S

Saffron
Also Called: Kum Kuma, Kesar, Autumn Crocus, Spanish Saffron, Parrot's Corn
Aphrodisiac, love, healing, happiness, wind raising, lust and strength. Burn, wear, or carry for healing and strengthening psychic awareness. Commonly used in love magick, healing spells, and to control the weather. Wash hands with water and saffron or keep saffron sachets in your home to bring happiness.