Extras: Baking

You lift the wooden ladle to your lips, the delicious aroma of your vegetable soup wafting through your nose. After blowing away some of the heat, you sipped the golden liquid. You hummed in confirmation that it was good enough to consume. You carefully take the black pot from the bronze stove, bits of flames licking after it.

The sound of your door loudly creaked open from behind you. Turning around, you saw Wukong walking in with a basket filled with peaches. "Here's the fruit you wanted!" He says with a smile. You took the basket from his hands and examined the contents. 10. Just as you asked. You smirked. "I see that you didn't eat any. Good progress." You joke, impressed at his restraint. Wukong beamed proudly at your praise. "See? I'm not just some peach thief." You chuckle and shake your head, putting the basket on the counter. Wukong comes over as well, sniffing the air.

"Mmm, that stew is really coming together..." He sighs.

"Just wait for a few more minutes." You amused, taking a cutting board and a knife. "I'll cut the peaches, and if you want, you can knead the dough?" You gesture at the slab of batter you had made beforehand. Wukong nods at your offer. "Sure, I'll help. Since you're gonna make that amazing pie of yours!" He cracks his knuckles and places his hands on the dough. The corners of your lips form a smile. "Thank you, Monkey." 

As you cut each fruit into pieces to put in the pie, your eyes sometimes dart to Wukong's side of the counter. His brows were furrowed deep in concentration, and his snout was scrunched up in frustration. His hands molded two chunks of the dough, hoping for it to stick together. The dough was awkwardly pushed together with messy creases and crescent markings made by his fingers. 

Noticing his clear struggle, you wanted to offer aid. "Do you need some help?" You asked, putting down your cleave. 

Wukong forced a smile. "No, no, it's okay! Plus, you're already doing something else." He turns back to his work. "I'm the Monkey King. Baking can't be that hard. I can do anything!" The moment he touches the batter, it flops in exhaustion. There were a few moments of silence, until Wukong mutters quietly, "...yes, please."

Your gaze softens as you step toward him. "There's no shame in asking for help. Now, here's what you do." You go behind him, your body pressing against his back. You feel him tense up a little at the sudden closeness. "Sorry, is this okay?" You inquired, unsure. Wukong felt a flutter from the tip of his tail all the way to the hair on his head. He quite liked the warmth you provided, weirdly enough he didn't mind. In fact, he wanted more of it. He clears his throat, "Uh, yeah. It's alright with me."

You slowly lean again and wrap your arms around his, your hands positioned on his own. "You were exerting too much force, be gentle." You guide his hands to knead the dough in a slow manner. "Be also firm, but not a lot. Otherwise, you put more stress on it." Wukong's hands roll the batter up and down, fists clutched a bit tight around it. 

"Just like that. Treat the dough like it's your equal." You state, observing his progression.

Wukong snorts. "A piece of dough as my equal? Me? I have done way more accomplishments than this uncooked pastry." He boasts, an unimpressed look settling upon his features. 

"Only but pretend, Wukong." You titter. "Just keep continuing to knead."

"Copy that, chief."

Wukong carries on with his duty, following your instructions. Your hands still rested on his in case if he needed help. You lean more into his back, closing your eyes as you nuzzle your cheek to delve more into the warmth. 

"You're really treating my back like a pillow, huh peaches?" Wukong teases, pausing his kneading to glance over his shoulder. You could almost hear the smile in his voice. Your eyes flew open, feeling your cheeks flush hot. You quickly detached yourself from behind, stifling your flustered murmurs with your fist.

"I s-should continue my cutting! Y-Yeah! You just knead while I...do my own thing!" You stuttered, muttering apologies as you grab your knife and start to cut the fruits again.

Wukong snickers at your nervous movements. However, he did miss you hugging his back like that.

"I actually liked it. Thanks for teaching me."

You blush shyly, but fulfillment rushes through you. You both carried on with your cooking and baking.

You notice Wukong stealing looks at the peach slices. He gazed at you with dilated eyes, his tail swishing expectantly. You clicked your tongue. "Really?"

"C'mon, please??" He whines.

You pursed your lips and your eyes lit with hilarity. "Okay, because you have been so helpful today. Heads up!" You take a slice and throw it in his direction, and he catches it immediately with his mouth. You did this several more times, and no peach was wasted.

Wukong bends down a little and stares at you with determination. "Make sure to throw it high!"

You laugh. "Make this one count! And, up!" You toss the peach slice in the air, and with a mighty leap, Wukong snatches it in his jaws, then somersaults backward, landing in a perfect poise.

"Woo! Spectacular!" You clapped your hands in delight. He bows deeply.

"Is supper ready yet?!" Zhu Bajie yells from the other room, impatience in his tone. The other pilgrims told him to wait.

"Almost!" You shouted back.

Once the dough had been molded into a pie shape, you and Wukong put the slices inside. Then, place over another blanket of mix on top of them.

The hot air from the oven swam over your skin as you slide the pie inside. You wiped your hands together, billows of flour wafting the air around. "It's done." You turn to Wukong. "Thank you again." You say gratefully. He, in return, sends you a toothy grin. "Of course!"

You announce that dinner was ready and the famous other pilgrims took their seats at the table. You served them the vegetable soup, which earned you some praise for the dish.

Bajie eats his whole bowl down to the last drop. "I prefer meat on my plate, but this is phenomenal!" He exclaims in admiration. "Tell me, where did you get such a recepie?"

You winked cheekily, putting a finger to your lips. "A chef never reveals her secrets." Bajie's ears drooped in slight disappointment but understood.

"Now, who wants seconds?"

"Me!"

"I wouldn't mind for more.."

"Sure!"

"Heck yeah!"

"I will have another bowl, many thank you's (Y/N)."

After dinner, the peach pie was done cooking in the oven. You take it out and cut the pie into evenly slices.

"Who's ready for desert!" You declare. The table was filled with joy and the comforting fragrance of rich bread and fruit.

Wukong excitedly stood up and pointed to the pie pieces. "I made that! I helped make it!" He proclaims, acting like an excited child who was proud of their work. You and the other pilgrims applauded for his job well done.

The rest of the night went on with storytelling and enjoying a delicious cooked meal.

~🍑~

(1211 words)