8-The Voice

I probably could have told Alduin about me knowing the Thu'um. That might have convinced him off me on the spot, thinking about it. Dragons were not to be trusted and even they seemed to agree with the feeling towards each other. This is exhausting. I get off of my bed and just stare at the wall, blankly. I'm sure the priests are the privileged few that learn the Thu'um and me knowing it without trying might push them off me.

There was only one other person I could speak about this with. I wasn't sure if I could fully trust him either. He was like me and was in danger if he rebelled against Alduin, but he was also about to be a Priest tomorrow night. I decided to go look for him.

Maybe Kyne or the other Divines were going easy on me but I was able to find him in his chambers, reading a strange book. He quickly closed it and turned to face me.

"Aemma, it's such a pleasure to see you." He smiled at me with such sweetness that it melted my heart.

"Hey, I wanted to talk to you about something." I place my hands in front of me.

"What is it?" Rynhek asked, sitting in the bed. I sat next to him.

"Did you ever use the Thu'um without training before?" I asked him in a very soft whisper.

Rynhek looked around and nodded.

"Since we are part dragon, we can do so. Doesn't mean you can't learn them as well." He asked in an equal tone. "Did you-"

I nodded. He sighs.

"I suppose it's an innate gift for us then. I suppose he doesn't know about this?" I shake my head.

"I'm assuming he might think you do already. In any case do not lie if he questions you about it." Rynhek says.

I nod. I notice the book he's reading looks very strange but I don't question it. He takes a deep breath and looks back at me.

"It feels nice to have someone like me around here, you know? The other Priests have envied me for my gift with the Thu'um and with magicka. And you are not like that. At least you haven't shown that behavior." Rynhek says.

"I never really had anyone." I look at him. "My mother was the only person who loved me. My grandfather hated me and my grandmother was distant."

"My grandparents were taken off by a fever. My mother was raised by those in her tribe." Rynhek sighed. "And then she met my father. You'd think if he cared about her, he would have run us out of Skyrim before his brother found out."

I can't help but to feel the same way about my family. Maybe if my mother had taken her leave with me, we would have been okay. But there's no telling what would've happened if my father was tracking us down. It could have been a lot worse. Maybe more people than my mother would have died or been hurt.

"I sometimes think about that but there's no telling what could have happened." I told him. "What could have been is always in the back of my mind. But we have to move forward as time won't do that for us." I stand up from the bed.

"You're right, Aemma." Rynhek looks up at me. "Thank you."

"Hey, no problem." I leave the room. I notice two servants in fancier robes pointing and whispering at each other. No doubt they're going to tell someone. Not that I care at this point. I continue my merry way back to my chambers.

I know that Alduin and the other dragons fear us. That they don't trust us. To be fair, I don't even trust Rynhek fully. We were part dragon and part human, with access to both worlds and whatever abilities they could tap into. There's a bard playing a melody for a scarlet dov and there's a group of trainees following Nahrikiin down the hall. There's also someone tending to a garden full of aromatic herbs.

I can't imagine that the dragons would be the ones using them. They'll probably need a lot more than the small garden could provide. I'm guessing that they would be feeding the Priests and their trainees with them. I finally reach my chambers to find that there's a letter on my bed along with a bundle of clothing.

I open up the letter and read it.

Master Rynhek has requested a new dress to be made for you. He has requested you wear it for tomorrow's festivites.

I then unfolded the dress. It was a teal green colored gown with elaborate gold embroidery and sheer fabric over brocade. I took a deep breath. It was beautiful and probably very expensive.