Prologue

'I walk a lonely road, the only road that I have ever known.'

I'm sitting comfortably on the roof of a tall building, with my legs dangling over the edge, not a care at how high up I am. This place used to be a hotel, if I remember correctly, so it's at least 20 stories high.

I take a deep breath and chuckle lowly to myself. People would say I'm crazy for sitting here, because one wrong move and I could fall to my death. I suppose that's partially true, yes it would hurt, but I wouldn't die. That's just not possible anymore.

I glance down at the ground, taking in the view, with the heels of my sock covered feet subconsciously tapping the wall. This city used to be New Orleans, Louisiana, and I remember many years back when this city used to be so fun and cool. Heck, this whole dimension used to be full of life, full of people! Now it looks like the world is stuck appearing like some dull Instagram filter, full of Reapers, leaving me as the only thing here that's partially human.

Ah, Reapers, most all of them are nice, and enjoy your company, you just have to look past the slightly terrifying appearance. They look like humans, except they only wear clothes that are shades of black, grey, and white, some with symbols painted under their eyes, to signify their rank, and their eye sockets are dark and sunk in, giving them a dead look. They also sport a pair of black and white eyes, just like mine. Our eyes give us fantastic night vision, day vision though, not so much.

The Reapers are cool, I'm glad they accepted me, and that we made the main reaper base camp in the deserted buildings here. Despite the fact that this dimension went 'Code Apocalypse', New Orleans is still an interesting place.

I quickly look over to my right to see my old phone. I unlock it and press replay on the Green Day song that I've been listening to on repeat for the past hour, then lock it again before looking back out at the city.

It's a miracle the device has survived for this long, then again, that's the magic of Dimension Zero technology. It's durable enough to keep functioning properly for nearly 66 years...

Oh.

I internally groan as I start to fidget with the hem of my tight red sleeveless shirt. I've gone full circle to the thought that prompted me to come sit on the ledge of this building in the first place.

Tomorrow marks 66 years since Dimension Zero went Code Apocalypse.

66 years since Kris betrayed her old team, the 4 Horsemen.

66 years since the Endite Apocali tried to trap and kill all the inhabitants there.

66 years since Kris died, while the other 3 Horsemen and a few others escaped.

66 years since I've seen the horsemen...

Stop Grim, you faked your death. Even if they think you're not actually dead, they still believe you're sided with Endite. Thankfully Wyatt is good at keeping secrets. So stop dwelling on the past, Kris is dead.

It's ironic though, seeing how I am Kris, codename Death, technically a former team member of the 4 horsemen, and I'm supposedly dead.

I smirk, they think Kris died 66 years ago, when in reality, she died well before then, in a sense.

See, Kris was a special little girl, born August 8th, 1999. Sure, she had busy parents, so she spent most of her time at her uncle's place, and he'd tell her fantastical stories of a place called Dimension Zero. She had a couple of friends like everybody else. These were the days that Grim was just a silly nickname between two best friends. Where the Endite Apocali was just a scary story to tell before bed.