Chapter 3: The Master of Venice

Comincia dall'inizio

For a moment, she was motionless, before suddenly leaping from the gondola into the air. They held the oar with both hands and for a moment, spun around it like a gymnast would on a bar before lunging at me.

The woman lashed out with a kick which I barely had time to raise my arm to defend against. This alone caught me off guard however for a split second, sparks of Hamon transitioned through her leg into my arm.

My eyes widened as I stuttered "Y-you know Hamon?" I now had an idea of who this was, I should have suspected sooner, but now I was almost certain. The woman didn't respond to my question, instead leaping back towards the water. Instead of landing in the gondola though, or splashing into the water, they simply landed on the oar she'd discarded earlier and balanced upon it.

Now she spoke, in a stern voice she asked "Who are you?" She sounded strict, not quite angry though. Not fully trusting my theory, I chose to only tell part of the truth. I explained "I am looking for a woman. I have been lead to believe she resides on that island over there." I pointed to the island behind her.

The woman tilted her head a bit before bluntly saying "It seems you've found one, haven't you?" It was now, I pressed "That was Hamon you just demonstrated wasn't it? Who are you?" The woman's answer was to simply add "Judging by your presence here, I assume you know who I am. My name is Lisa Lisa."

Image of Lisa Lisa:

At first, I was caught off guard by her appearance

At first, I was caught off guard by her appearance. She didn't look a day over twenty five, a Hamon master at this age? No, I remembered what Speedwagon had said about Straizo, Hamon could slow the aging process. This was likely a similar process.

Forgetting about that, I lowered my guard and instead bowed in respect. From what Straizo had told me in the years I'd trained under him, I'd grown to deeply respect Lisa Lisa. Otherwise I wouldn't have come. As I pressed my hands together I greeted.

"Greetings Lisa Lisa, my name is Gyalzen. I came to you under desperate circumstances requesting your aide." I grunted a bit as pain shot through my leg. I'd been stood on it for hours on end and this didn't go unnoticed.

Lisa Lisa's tone was once again cold as she pointed out "You're injured. AND tired. Come, I know you are one of Straizo's students. You may explain why it is you've sought me out, but not here."  Leaping back towards the gondola she proceeded to paddle it to the jetty.

The sail to the island was a quiet one. No words were exchanged until we arrived on the island itself. I took a moment to marvel at the structure and layout of the place, the huge tower which loomed over us.

As I followed Lisa Lisa inside, she finally chose to ask. "So tell me. What is one of Straizo's students doing out here? Your arrival was rather abrupt dare I say." It took a moment for me to find the words. There was no telling how she'd react. Would she believe me? I had no idea. But I had to take that risk, there was no telling what Straizo was already doing at this point.

I told her everything, the WHOLE story. From meeting with Speedwagon, to the man in the pillar, to Straizo's betrayal, our battle and my escape. Throughout the explanation, Lisa Lisa's expression changed, from interest, to shock, to an expression I couldn't quite tell.

Once again, we went into a brief silence, she just stared into my eyes as if reading my reaction before saying. "You're telling the truth." I nodded which caused her to mutter under her breath "Straizo..."

Again, the uncomfortable silence, this time interrupted by me asking "Lisa Lisa, I'm sorry to bring this to you. But the reason I came here was to seek your training. Alone, I was no match for him. Please, I require your assistance."

At first, Lisa Lisa said nothing, instead she lead me down a series of corridors, up stairs and eventually we came face to face with a young girl, perhaps around my age. Lisa Lisa gained her attention, saying "Suzie!" I assumed from her attire she was a servant of sorts.

Image of Suzie Q:

The girl, Suzie, responded "Is there something you require Ma'am?" Lisa Lisa simply nodded before gesturing to me, saying "Yes, this is Gyalzen, he will be residing here for the unforeseeable future

The girl, Suzie, responded "Is there something you require Ma'am?" Lisa Lisa simply nodded before gesturing to me, saying "Yes, this is Gyalzen, he will be residing here for the unforeseeable future." 

Suzie Q gave me a smile and greeted eagerly "Hello!" I bowed and responded "Greetings. It's nice to meet you." Lisa Lisa proceeded to order. "Take Gyalzen to one of the spare rooms and bring some food up to him." Suzie Q proceeded to bow and said "Of course, follow me." I did just that, as I passed Lisa Lisa, she informed me.

"Your training will begin once I deem you healthy enough..."

Author's Note: And that's it for this chapter. I am sorry for the slow uploads, the reason for this is because unlike my first book, this story has undergone significant changes from my original idea. Some plotlines are entirely different than they would have been, so I'm still planning things out in places. I really hope you enjoyed the chapter and as always, thank you for reading.