Chapter 28 (State of Emergency)

Start from the beginning

"Good plan," Nirvi agreed through a strained voice.

In a flash, they were back at the house. Everyone practically fell out of the car. They helped each other as best as they could to get within the safe confines of Nirvi's home.

When Renata felt the cool air of the inside, she felt like she could breathe again.

"Where are the guards?" Nirvi demanded.

At the same time, Tahoma was just short of shouting when he said, "we can't stay here long, Angel knows where this place is."

But then, in the next instant, Renata watched as Rocio, Nirvi, and Keone all crumbled to the ground, curling into balls and screaming at the top of their lungs.

"Rocio!" Renata, though she felt like complete dog shit, raced to her sister's side.

"Ma!" Tahoma did the same.

She felt powerless as her sister continued to wriggle around in pain. She cried, leaning over her and holding her as much as she would allow. Tahoma was doing something similar with his mother.

Keone was shit out of luck.

But only a minute or two passed when they all seemed to deflate, settling into the ground. Renata panicked and shook an unconscious Rocio. "Hey, hey! Wake up, please." But they all remained silent.

"I can hear their heartbeats," Tahoma said as he moved Nirvi's face out of the way, "but they sound–"

Renata jumped back as all three shot up with great, big gasps.

"Rocio?!" Renata demanded and took a hold of her. She was confused when she met her startled face and a pair of dark brown eyes. Like her old eyes that she'd known all their lives. "Rocio, your eyes, they're–they're brown." Renata looked over and saw that Nirvi's was near, then to Keone, whose eyes were a hazel green. "All of your eyes, they're normal."

Tahoma leaned forward and sniffed Nirvi. His red eyes widened with shock.

"I feel so weak," Nirvi whispered.

"Ma," he put a hand on her arm so she would look at him, "you all smell human."

Renata stared at all three of them. "You're all human."

**********

They all sat in the living room, eyes glued to the television.

The news on the air hadn't lasted for long. Now, there was only the emergency alert system playing one message:

WE ARE IN A NATIONAL STATE OF EMERGENCY. THIS IS NOT DRILL. REMAIN IN YOUR HOMES. REINFORCE ANY ENTRY POINTS OF YOUR HOME AGAINST INFECTED PERSONS. IF SOMEONE IN YOUR HOUSEHOLD SHOWS SYMPTOMS OF THIS UNKNOWN INFECTION, QUARANTINE THAT PERSON OR REMOVE THEM FROM YOUR HOUSEHOLD COMPLETELY. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO LEAVE YOUR HOMES. THIS IS NOT A DRILL. REMAIN IN YOUR HOMES.

After watching the literal apocalypse unfold before their very eyes on the screen, they gathered the consequences of the clash between Angel and Renata were felt across the world. Some humans turned into undying, whether it be a newly birthed one or somewhere down the line of the craze. Others turned into full-blown stragglers. Some undying turned back into humans or also spiraled down the path of bloodlust. Others just simply dropped dead altogether.