I stare down at the man before me. The man who took me, the man who saved me. I feel that pull in my chest again. The bond. And somehow, I know that what he’s saying is true.

“Okay. I’ll…I’ll try it.” I kneel beside him, moving my hand to his neck.

“Try not to look so worried. I’m the one with half his body crushed by a rock.”

“Hush.” I then lower my mouth to his, intending to do nothing more than brush my lips against his but then our lips touch, an all-consuming heat flames between us. It erupts from my chest, spreading through my body to the very tip of my fingers.

Caden pulls me closer, his tongue twisting with mine, until I’m not sure where I end and where he begins.

“Arabella….” Caden moans my name.

The heat has completely overtaken me, flickering beneath my skin, unbearable and addicting all at once. When I pull away, Caden’s eyes glow bright gold, as if holding the light of the sun.

“That’s it.” He places his large hand on the rock. Then, with a low snarl, he shoves the boulder away from him as if it weighs nothing. I stare back in shock, my skin still crackling with power. Caden chuckles quietly, looking at me rather than at the boulder. He moves to stand, but his knees give way and he swears in pain.

“Here, take my shoulder.” I bend down and put his arm around my neck.

“Are you sure?”

“Please. I can break cement; you think I can’t handle you?”

Leaning on me, Caden manages to keep pace as I hunt for shelter.

“It’s getting dark and we’re in Raphael’s territory. If they find us…” Suddenly, I hear a chorus of howls in the distance.

“Was that Beau and the others?”

“No.” Caden confirms, his eyes darken.

I swallow back fear and keep going. As darkness falls around us, we come across the mouth of a cave. We travel deep into the cave’s cool depths, until we find a soft ground and a fresh spring pool fed by a waterfall.

“Wow, this is beautiful.”

“Let’s rest here.”

I ease Caden to the ground, he hisses through his teeth, panting and damp with sweat.

“Are you okay?”

“What? Am I okay?”

“You fell from a cliff, so yeah. I’m asking if you’re okay.”

“So did you. You took the blow and you were crashed and…”

“Just answer the question, Arabella. Are you okay?” His eyes flash as he looks up at me from the ground, his breathing labored.

“I’m fine. But you look like you could use a doctor.”

“Sorry for not looking more dewy and radiant.” He tries to laugh, but a sharp pain stops him. He clutches his ribs and doubles over.

“Fuck.”

“Okay. Take your shirt off.”

“Sorry, sweetheart. Don’t think I’m up for any playtime right now.”

“I didn’t mean it like that.”

“No? You got me alone in this little cave, now you’re trying to undress me…”

“I just want to see if you’re badly hurt. You must have broken something.”

“Sure. That’s what they all say.” He grumbles, but gingerly pulls his shirt up and over his head.