two

Kaz, Inej, Jesper, and I have to find a way to safely get through the Fold. If we can't we'll never make it back alive. If there's no chance of surviving, I'm not risking my life because some man wants something that he won't even tell what it is. We head to talk to a Madame.

"Tell us how to safely cross the Fold," Kaz instructs.

"The Fold? If I knew safe passage through that, I'd be wealthier than the whole Merchant Council," she argues.

"You told me you brought in girls from Os Alta. The other side," Inej reminds her.

"Yeah. The hard way. Lost a few to those damn volcra, too," the woman tells us.

Our next lead is courtesy of Jesper.

"Nah, there's no trick to it except how it makes people disappear from time to time," the man tells us.

"I heard you bragging of a way to make a path," Jesper tells him.

"I was taking kruge from a tourist. A little lie. The Fold keeps those Ravkan bastards and their Grisha attack dogs in check. Can you imagine how dangerous it would be if it wasn't there?" the man remarks.

Kaz's lead takes us to a fight.

"Just go around," the man tells us.

"It stretches all the way north to the Fjerdan border," Kaz states.

"Ja. So go to Fjerda. March through the permafrost," the man offers.

"How long would that take?" Kaz asks.

"From here? Four months. Maybe five," the man tells us.

"We don't have that kind of time," Kaz states.

The man stands up and punches at the air. "Either you take your time, or you take your chances."

The boxing bell rings as people cheer. Jesper motions for us to head out.

We head back to the Crow Club. We sit around a table trying to regroup. Kaz has his hand firmly planted on the top of his cane.

"Here's what I don't get..." Jesper starts.

"We're going to be here all night," Inej taunts.

"Rude," Jesper states. He sits up straight in his chair taking his feet off the table. "Why haven't they tried going under it? Just dig a tunnel."

"Tried that. More than a century ago. Something... heard them digging," Kaz informs him.

"It was made hundreds of years ago by that crazy Grisha..." Jesper starts.

"The Black Heretic," I tell him.

"The one who controls shadow. They've got one in their army now. General Kirigan?" Jesper says.

"Your point?" I question.

"If one of his kind made it, can't he unmake it?" Jesper asks.

"Have you ever put out fire by adding more fire?" Inej asks.

"Then what's the opposite?" Jesper asks.

"A Sun Summoner," I tell him.

"Right, then, one of those," Jesper says.

"Doesn't exist," Kaz states.

"Doesn't exist yet," Inej insists.

"Dreesen comes into town, doesn't waste a minute. Sends out for a crew to steal something but doesn't specify what. Is it heavy, large, worth more than a million on the black market? Maybe he doesn't know," Kaz reasons.