Chapter 10. Clarifying things up

By the third day of Enid's visit, Tyler was growing haggard again and Wednesday decided that another reprieve from training was warranted. When she announced her intention during breakfast, her mother looked delighted.

"That's a splendid idea, darling. If you children are looking for something to do for the day, Pugsley's been wanting to go ice fishing, and I'm sure he'd adore the company." She turned to Tyler and Enid. "Have you dears ever been fishing before?"

Tyler replied that he had gone a few times with his dad when he was younger, but Enid shook her head.

"I'm not really sure if it's up my alley, Mrs. Addams," she said. "I'm not so stellar at the whole patience thing."

"Oh, no need to worry about that, dear," her mother smiled reassuringly. "Our family has a technique that makes the whole process quite efficient. You won't need patience to enjoy yourself, you'll see."

"I guess I'll give it a try," Enid shrugged. "Anything's better than spending another day as monster bait." She looked at Wednesday. "You're coming too, right?"

"I'd rather dig up graves," she replied flatly, "but I suppose there are less pleasant ways to spend a morning." She rose from her chair. "Pugsley, fetch the grenades. We're leaving by the end of the hour."

Enid and Tyler watched him scurry away, bewilderment painted on their faces.

"Wait, what-?" Enid began.

"No questions," Wednesday cut in firmly. "You'll understand when we get there. Also, Enid, I'd recommend bringing headphones."

The noise of the grenades was tolerable for humans, but it would be less so to a werewolf's sensitive hearing. Enid wasn't a connoisseur of pain like she was, so headphones would be necessary.

Once the four of them were packed and bundled up in winter clothes, they trekked to the pond at the back of the property. In the summer it made for a passable swimming hole, but at this time of year it was completely encased in ice.

Pugsley rolled out the tarp they had brought to sit on, while Tyler set the grenades down with an amusing amount of care.

"Look, I know I'm not an expert at this," Enid said skeptically, "but don't we need like rods and bait and stuff?"

Wednesday settled down on the tarp. "Just put your headphones on and watch."

She nodded to Pugsley, who removed the pin from one of the grenades and hurled it into the middle of pond. It exploded as soon it hit the ice, creating a sizeable crater. Several dead fish floated to the surface.

She turned to Enid and Tyler, who were gaping in astonishment. "Care to try?

"Don't you need a license or something to use one of those?" Tyler asked.

"It wouldn't be an amusing pastime if it wasn't illegal," she said matter-of-factly.

Tyler shrugged as he took the grenade and flung it at the ice. Three more fish emerged, and he gave a low whistle. "Your mom wasn't lying when she said this was efficient."

"Uh, Wednesday?" Enid asked as she tentatively took a grenade from Pugsley. "I'm not so sure about this."

"Don't whine, Enid. It isn't becoming. Just remove the pin and throw. As long as you don't drop it, all of your limbs should remain intact."

Enid gulped nervously. She pulled out the pin with trembling fingers, then squeezed her eyes shut and threw. She shrieked when it went off, as if surprised that the grenade had served its sole purpose and actually exploded.

"So?" Wednesday queried.

A wide grin spread over Enid's face. "That was awesome! Quick, give me another one."