Chapter 6. Resting day

They were dining at the breakfast table a few mornings later when her mother cleared her throat delicately.

“Darling? Would you do me a favor?”

Wednesday raised her eyes from her plate. This was already sounding ominous.

“Would you go down to the village for me and buy some olives? I need them for supper, and I’m afraid that I forgot to pick some up the other day.”

“I am in the process of psychologically reconditioning a Hyde, mother. I must confess that olives are not my top priority at the moment.”

Her mother gave a nonchalant wave of her hand. “Oh, you children have been doing nothing but your little practices lately. One day won’t hurt. Besides, Tyler needs a break. The poor boy looks like he’s about ready to drop with exhaustion.”

Wednesday turned her gaze to Tyler, who shifted uncomfortably under her scrutiny. It hadn’t escaped her notice that his complexion was paler than normal. She wanted to finish their training as efficiently as possible, but perhaps a rest was warranted. Test subjects had to be treated with some level of care or they lost their value, after all.

“Fine,” she said at last.

“Thank you, my little rain cloud. Tyler should accompany you as well. This is supposed to be a vacation, but he’s seen nothing besides the inside of these castle walls and that dreary forest. Why don’t you show him around the village?” She turned to Tyler with one of her grotesque smiles. “What do you say, dear?”

“Only if it’s ok with Wednesday,” he replied uncertainly.

Wednesday sent him a sharp look and he colored, clearly remembering her previous warning about treating her like his master.

“You can do what you want,” she said coolly.

“Then I guess I’ll come,” he shrugged.

“Wonderful,” her mother clapped her hands excitedly. “Lurch can drive you, but he’ll stay in the hearse while you’re in the village. He’s not the best around people, you know.”

Wednesday pushed back her chair and stood. “Let’s go,” she said. “I prefer to get my torture over with first thing in the morning.”

They donned coats and shoes and were about to step out the door when her mother hurried up to them. “I almost forgot.” She held out a sizeable sum of money, folded neatly and tied with a black string. “There should be enough here, plus a little left over for you and Tyler to get yourselves some coffee and pastries afterward.” She winked slyly.

Wednesday slid the cash into her pocket without a word, then turned on her heel and strode out the door.

“You children, have fun, alright?” she called after them.

Wednesday ground her teeth. She had been manipulated, and they both knew it. It was times like this when she wondered if she and her mother were more alike than she thought. The mere thought made her want to strip her nails off.

Lurch brought them to an outdoor market where vendors had set up carts selling fresh produce, as well as specialty treats like pastries and roasted nuts. It was exactly the kind of place she despised the most—loud, crowded, and surging with life.

Tyler, on the other hand, was enthralled. His head seemed to be on a swivel as he tried to take in everyone and everything they passed. She was satisfied to see that some of the brightness had returned to his eyes. Because he’s a valuable test subject, she told herself firmly. No other reason.

“You seem fond of this place,” she said “Although I can’t fathom why.”

“Yeah,” he said, “it’s just so...different. I’ve hardly ever been outside of Jericho, so I don’t know, it’s just nice to see something else.”