Chapter 7. Visions & Problems

Wednesday held the Hyde’s gaze steadily. The creature looked back at her, whining quietly.

“Good boy,” she said. “Pugsley, come.”

Her brother took a tentative step forward. The Hyde’s eyes flicked to him, but she tugged on his hands lightly, directing his attention back to her.

“Focus,” she commanded.

Pugsley took another step, approaching until he was an arm’s length away.  

“Good,” she told the Hyde. “I’m going to let go now, and I want you to stay right here.”

She slowly disentangled her hands. The Hyde’s whimpers grew louder, but he remained rooted in place. They had been working on lengthening the amount of time he could maintain control on his own. He would be fine for the next five minutes or so, then once he started showing signs of increased agitation, she would reinitiate contact and they would start the whole process again.

She let herself relax slightly, settling in for the usual wait. It was at that moment that everything went wrong.

The Hyde jolted suddenly—as if he had been given an electric shock. His eyes took on a feral glow and he gave a screeching roar that made her ears ring.

Wednesday lunged for his hands, but he swatted her away viciously. She flew into a tree and crumpled to the ground, gasping for air.

“Sis!” Pugsley screamed.

The Hyde turned on her brother, roaring again. There was no quenching the bloodthirst in his eyes. Even if she could get close enough to touch him, it wouldn’t bring him back. Not this time.

“Pugsley, run,” she said breathlessly.

Her brother started running as fast as his pudgy legs would carry him, but she knew that he wouldn’t make it far. She reached into her pocket and pulled out two daggers. She aimed one at each of the Hyde’s thighs, intending to slow the creature down, but he scarcely even staggered before resuming his pursuit.

She continued throwing daggers at him, even though a part of her knew it was futile. She had already seen how this would end. Daggers wouldn’t stop the Hyde. Nothing would, except—

Pugsley let out a sharp cry as he tripped over a root and went sprawling to the ground. He scooted backward desperately until his back hit a tree. He stared up at the Hyde, face ashen, as the creature loomed over him.

Wednesday eyed the final dagger in her hand. She knew what she had to do. With a last glance at the Hyde, she turned the blade on herself and drove it deep into her side.

The pain was even more intense than it had been in her vision. She clenched her teeth to prevent from screaming. It was as if the entire right side of her body had been set on fire. She tried to steel herself before pulling the dagger out, but the fiery agony made her stagger as black spots danced across her vision. She tossed the blade aside, her hands sticky with blood.

Feeling light-headed, she was suddenly staring at a gray sky heavily encumbered with clouds. The sky from her vision, she thought wryly. She should have noticed it earlier.

“Wednesday!”

Tyler appeared above her, blocking her view of the sky. His expression was stricken with terror. Under other circumstances, she would have been proud to be the cause of such intense fear.

“Sis!” Tears made pale tracks down Pugsley’s cheeks, but her pathetic younger brother was still in one piece. That was what mattered.

Tyler’s hands shook as they hovered over her helplessly. “No...this can’t be happening.”