Chapter 5

Charlotte stood looking out the window down to the city below. She was standing in Kyojuro Rengoku's penthouse, not truly believing that this was where he lived. The place was massive. Immaculate. Dark rich woods and leather furnished the place. A log in the fireplace popped, bathing the room in a soft glow. Charlotte was grateful that she had met Kyojuro outside of her place when he picked her up for their date. Suddenly embarrassed by her tiny run down and incredibly messy apartment. She shook her head 'no'. Kyojuro wouldn't have cared. He wasn't like that. He had asked her out, knowing she didn't come from money.

She heard the door unlock and turned on her heels. Kyojuro practically burst through the door. He closed the gap in a few strides, and grabbed her into a tight embrace. Charlotte buried her face in his chest, not realizing until now how much she missed his presence. His warm touch, the way he smelled of hickory. He abruptly pulled her away from him, and began to check her over. "Tch. She's fine. Just fell on her ass." Sanemi rolled his eyes, taking a drink from his whiskey glass.

Kyojuro ignored him. He looked at Charlotte. Gold and red eyes searching hers with concern. She gave him a small smile and nodded that she wasn't hurt. He had just finished his mission when he felt the familiar buzz of his phone. His heart sank when he saw the message from Sanemi.

Get back here. Demon tried to attack your girl.

Kyojuro didn't even remember getting in his car. He barely registered the blur of lights as he speed back. His knuckles were white from how hard he gripped the steering wheel. Jaw set tight with worry and anger. He would never forgive himself if something happened to her.

Charlotte looked down and saw a katana strapped to Kyojuro's side, barely concealed by his jacked. She took a step back. "Kyojuro. What's going on?" Sanemi downed the remaining contents down and set the glass down on the kitchen island. "That's my cue." Sanemi walked to the door, hand on the handle. He tossed his head back, "Later Car-o-lina." He chuckled to himself as he walked out.

Kyojuro could no longer keep the full truth from her. She had been exposed to the horrors that lurked during the night. Her doe eyes pleaded with him for absolute honesty. Kyojuro closed his eyes, taking a deep breath. He removed his jacket and katana, placing them on the glass coffee table. He walked to the kitchen and poured them each a glass of whiskey. Charlotte gladly accepted it, bringing the amber liquid to her lips.

Kyojuro regarded her for a moment. "The thing that attacked you tonight was a demon." He searched her eyes, trying to gauge her reaction. She gave away nothing. "I work within the Demon Slayer Corps. We're a secret organization, not recognized by the government, tasked to eradicate demons."

"Not recognized as in the government doesn't know about you?"

Kyojuro scoffed, taking a sip of his drink. "Oh they're well aware of our existence. But if they recognize us, then they have to recognize the situation. If the do that, then they have to admit they're grossly inept to handle things. And if they can't handle things, and the public finds out, then panic and distrust will run rampant. Whole damn thing will collapse. So, as far as they're concerned, we don't exist."

Charlotte nodded her head in understanding. "Are there a lot of demons then?"

"Yes, and more everyday. The demon that attacked you tonight was very low level." Her eyes widened. Kyojuro nodded at her grimly. "There are far more powerful demons out there. The demons are ruled by a demon lord, Muzan Kibutsuji. Under him are the Twelve Demon Moons, Upper Six and Lower Six. The Lower Six have changed over the years, the Upper Six have remained unchanged for hundreds of years."

"How long has the Demon Slayer Corps been at this?"

Kyojuro sighed, "A long time. Demon's can't exist in the sun, they go up in ashes instantaneously at first light. Only way to kill them. That, and this." He walked over to the coffee table, picking up his katana. "This is a nichirin blade. Sunlight or decapitation. That's the only way." He pulled the blade free from the scabbard. The blade was red, a flame pattern woven throughout the metal. It was beautiful, and very fitting of Kyojuro.

"Are there a lot of you?"

"Not enough. I'm one of the nine Hashira, the highest rank within the organization. Shinazugawa and Tengen are Hashira as well. We're given broad areas to patrol, to find out any potential information regarding the Twelve Moons or Muzan." He slid the blade back into it's sheath.

Charlotte suddenly remembered something. She looked around. "Kyojuro? Didn't you say you had a younger brother?"

"Senjuro? Yes, he isn't here. I asked Kanroji to pick him up and take him back to her place for the night." Her place? Kyojuro noticed her slight wave of apprehension. He gave her a gentle smile. "It's not like that. I see her as a younger sister. She absolutely adores Senjuro." He chuckled to himself. "She adores everyone." Charlotte visibly relaxed, satisfied.

"Does Senjuro know? About all this?"

Kyojuro nodded. "Yes. Most people who are involved with the Demon Slayer Corps become so out of tragedy or necessity. There are those, like myself and Senjuro, who come from long lines of Demon Slayers. The Rengoku family have been the standing Flame Hashira for centuries." Charlotte frowned with understanding. She had lived in blissful ignorance, unaware of the true magnitude of the danger that everyone was in. Suddenly she barked a laugh. Kyojuro's eyes widened at the sudden display. Charlotte couldn't stop. She was hysterically laughing now, tears beginning to stream down her face. She looked up at him between her fits. "I thought..." she could barely contain herself. "I thought you were in the mob! Oh my god, this is so much worse!"