#20. the superheroine

Start from the beginning

Ben headed towards where Rosie was sitting on some blankets. He threw himself down beside her and wrapped his arms around her. Her body trembled with emotion; she had dreamed of being back in his arms and being able to kiss him. She missed him so much, so much.

"God, you don't know how much I missed you, Ben," sighed the young woman, taking him by the cheeks. "I need you, my love, it's been hell without you," she murmured, struggling between kissing his lips or kissing his entire face. "Everyone treated me badly: the officers wouldn't let me do anything, the soldiers were afraid I would poison them, they didn't want to come near me. I've been so lonely, I don't ever want to be separated from you. Never!" Rosie hugged him so tightly that her arms began to burn and her heart throbbed, about to explode. "I love you."

"Did you miss me?" he asked, kissing her lips. "Did you think of me every day?"

"Of course, every day."

"You didn't fall for some idiot, did you?"

"How can you even suggest that?!" Rosie pulled away slightly to look him in the eyes. "I've been yours since the day you kissed me," she said with a silly smile. "You didn't meet another girl, did you?" Just saying it made her eyes glassy. The thought of Ben leaving her terrified her.

"There's no woman in the world who can handle me like you do, Rosie. I love you," Ben said. Rosie's cheeks turned red from the air she held in fear of being deceived. "Did you think I would...?" Ben stopped in the middle of his sentence, as the shouts of a general called him away.

"Go," Rosie said, seeing that their moment of privacy was over. She sat on what was supposed to be a bed and put her hair up in a bun.

"No, I don't feel like putting up with any nonsense, I want to be with my girl," Ben said, taking her forcefully by the hips and sitting her on his lap. "Stupid pawns, they won't leave me alone."

"Pawns?" she asked playfully. "I miss playing chess with you."

"Yes, they're all insignificant pawns, we're the important pieces, my love. I can't pretend that they can control us anymore," Ben's lip trembled slightly, on the right corner, he only did that when he was very worried about something.

"What's wrong?" She gave him a soft kiss on the lips and cradled her lover's face in her hands to calm his hormonal fluctuations. "Tell me, Ben, we're a couple, we tell each other everything."

"These crazies... They made a bomb, a nuclear call. You have no idea the damage it could cause, it destroys cities, it destroys everything. If they throw it at our heads, there's no power that can save us. Vought's shit already threatened to throw one at me if I don't behave."

"But is it true?" she interrupted incredulously.

Ben took her by the waist, his fingers piercing the soldier's uniform, digging into a hint of flesh. The pain didn't surprise her as much as the fear she saw in the man's green eyes. Rosie had never seen him scared before. His lip trembled as he spoke, like the jello dance they did on Tuesdays. He took her by the chin to make her look at him steadfastly, beyond the love he felt.

"Don't doubt me, I'm not joking," he said.

"I'm not doubting you, I believe you," she rushed to say, putting more intensity into the relaxation hormones.

"Soldier Boy!" they shouted outside.

"Go, duty is calling you," she said with a small smile. The truth was she was dying to keep kissing him wrapped in his arms. She wished he wouldn't leave her alone again; without him everything was worse, but duty was duty and no one could ignore it.

"I told you no!" he repeated, tired. "Don't bother me! Now they're coming to get me to do some dirty work, but when I tell them to fuck off and launch myself like a cannon against the Nazis, they cry over collateral damage. That's how they'll learn to respect me. Plus, I need you. I'm tired of using my hand..."