The one became very clear when she cried harder, looked down and opened her shaking hand; The one she hadn't raised, the one that only now did I realise she hadn't opened the entire way down the seafront.

Before I could speak, she took over after one heavy breath. "It— It broke, Lo'ak—" Her voice shook, as if the words hurt her to say.

In her hand, her split open, bloodied, scar-covered hand, was her shell.

In all honesty, if it weren't for her statement I wouldn't have noticed the leftover pieces of the shell due to her injuries however I could tell she couldn't have cared less for the state of her hand. I rushed through questions, asking myself how long she'd been holding onto all the tiny, sharp scraps for her hand to be in such a mess. — I almost asked her, but... I knew that my worrying wasn't what she needed.

My initial instinct was to brush the pieces off her her hand and take her to heal it, but I decided before that, reassurance was necessary.

When I felt she was ready, I stepped closer to her. I took my hand and moved the hair that was being brushed across her face in the wind behind her ear, resting my hand atop her cheek once I saw her start to calm down. I then leaned my head forward, placing a gentle kiss on her forehead and placing my other hand beneath her deeply reddened one to steady it.

"Just because something's in pieces, doesn't mean they don't fit together anymore."I said, resting my own forehead against hers as I started to sweep away the pieces from her hand and bring them into mine instead as lightly as I could.

Having done that, I broke the contact as to take a look at her, feeling glad that I had when I found her to be crying once again. My hand found it's way back to her cheek, my thumb sweeping across it to discard her tears.

With a voice that could've pierced through me, staring straight at me, she whispered to me. "I was waiting for you, you know."

I choked, unable to give her anything but my silence.

She breathed inward with staggered gasps, tears running. "Why— Why didn't you come to get me?"

I knew that question was coming. I tried to give her an answer, hoping she could tell I was sorry merely by the look I knew I had on my face.

"I was scared, and— and cold and... hurt! And you weren't anywhere close to being there!"

That time, her tone changed.

"I mean, seriously?! How long do I have to rot before you actually get a move on, huh?!"

Oh, so she is mad at me. Can't say I didn't expect it.

"Everyday I thought, y'know, 'hmm, I wonder if today will be the day the knight in shining armour finally moves his ass and saves the damned damsel!'"

...As I said, I'd prefer this over anything that didn't involve her being here.

"You are the slowest, most obtuse, unperceptive knight in shining armour that has ever lived! Was it deliberate? Did you do it on purpose? Like, oh I don't know, a test to prove something?"

...Even if her words only slightly stung.

"A test? What—" I tried to pitch in.

"Yeah! A test! Like," She paused to think. I almost laughed. "Like to show that you're stronger than me! Or... That you don't miss me at all! Or that you don't need me!"

Yeah, she was talking complete nonsense and we both knew it.

After an abrupt end to her rambling paired with an annoyed grunt, she finalised her outburst once and for all.
"Well?" She blinked a lot, straightening her arms by her side and struggling to hold eye contact as she tried to seem tough.

I anticipated her question with a smirk. "Well what?" I repeated.

I could see it in her face that that wasn't what she wanted to her, but of course I already knew that before I'd said it.

"Well!" She tried to get her words out but failed the first time. "Did you..."

"Did I?" I spoke quieter, softer. Once I'd placed the shell pieces safely away in my satchel, I removed her hands from their stationary positions, taking them into mine before she had the chance to speak, taking care not to press too hard.
"Did I do it on purpose? No. Did I do it to test you? No. Did I do it to prove something? No. — But I'll tell you what, Teya. What I did do was miss you. And need you. And there is no way that I was anywhere as strong as you were."

I could practically hear the 'really?' being screamed at me through her eyes alone.

"But... If anyone should be mad at anybody..." I paused, watching her expression change after hearing mine alter. "... This is kind of all your fault for agreeing to sneak out with me—"

Before I could finish, she let out her burning, intoxicating laugh. "Oh, you dumbass!" She giggled, letting go of both of my hands and bringing them around my neck, hoisting me forward and closing the space that was meant to have been closed a long, long... long time ago.

My shock was probably much too readable.

My eyes closed on their own, in the same way my arms hooked themselves around her, pulling her gently forward as I returned her kiss as well as embrace. I hadn't anticipated that she'd ever let me go, so when she did, I probably looked a little more than startled.

She looked at me, smiled and almost laughed. (Was she laughing at me? Honestly, I still don't know.)

"Sorry, I, uhm—" She struggled, bringing a hand to her lips as she tried to cover her small smile. "I always thought you'd be—" A paused lasted. "...Nevermind." She dismissed herself, pulling me back in for another kiss to which I wasn't about to refuse despite her unfinished possible insult.

I think I spoke too soon.

I'd much rather have her love me than hate me.

.
.
.