Epilogue

One year later

One year later

Today is the day I head back to the army. I felt like it was time and with spending the last year with Everly by my side, I know that if I don't do this now, I'll never do it. So many times she's told me that she doesn't want me to regret a thing and that it's time to be selfish after everything I've given up for her.

I don't necessarily like the term 'selfish' but I know what she means.

She wants me to do things for me and no one else. Despite how much I love her and want to be with her. I'm doing this for me and four years doesn't seem so bad, not when I know I'll be coming home to her after all of this.

Right now she's standing by my side as we get picked up to head away. I can tell she's nervous, she's been quiet since we left my apartment and she's not sure what to say. I'm fearful of seeing her cry but I'm praying the tears will be those of happiness.

Especially when I pop the question.

I've been wanting to ask for the last few months but no time felt more perfect than this.

A promise of our love, of our relationship. That when I get home for good, we can get married. I hope she says yes anyway. The thought destroys me from the inside out but I want to symbolise our strength, our power together.