To Hold or To Be Held

Start from the beginning

"Hello, mother." Wednesday deadpanned, posture rigid. She had already used up all her energy just to confess her feelings to Enid. She had little left. Especially after what she did to Pugsley.

From the loud thud over head, she assumed he had finally escaped the ceiling restraints. Sad, it took him longer than it used to. Maybe she'd been going easy on him lately, and he was getting weaker.

"What is it, my little scorpion?" Her father spoke up, coming to stand next to his wife. They were perfect next to each other, so conflicting yet the same.

Wednesday noted then that Enid was color, and Wednesday was darkness, quite unlike her parents, who were both dark. Yet her father was filled with so much life and her mother with elegant beauty and a hint of poison.

Enid was quite the same. She was so bright. Sometimes overly bright, yet she had a darkness, too. One hidden so far down, outsiders would never see it, never notice when Enid fakes a smile.

Outsiders would never know Enid could become a killer beast with the power and strength to take out an uncontrolled monster. Wednesday knew.

Enid physically was her opposite, yet mentally, they could be the same. They had power that others would fear, unstoppable forces.

"I have asked for Enid's hand." Wednesday spoke firmly, leveling her parent's instant glee with a death glare.

"That is wonderful news! Isn't it wonderful news, Tish?" Gomez beamed at his wife.

"It is." Morticia responded with poise. She was just as excited but her feelings more easily contained. For her daughters sake, of course.

Gomez brought Wednesday into a big hug. It was short and filled with love, and Wednesday despised it.

Her mother was more respectful of her no touch rule. She instead leveled her with full eye contact. A knowing gleam behind her eyes.

Morticia always knew, just like most mothers do. She just had the added ability of visions.

"I must return to my room now. Thank you both for your help on the matters. And no father, there will be no wedding planning." Wednesday had begun to walk out of the room. She looked over her shoulder at her parents to make sure they understood what she meant.

He just smiled at her. Clearly, he had ignored her entirely and was hearing church bells already.

Wednesday repressed a shudder. She knew it would happen eventually, but thinking of marrying Enid was terrifying. Not the good kind of terrifying either, the kind that filled Wednessay with uncertainty.

Sure, Enid had said they were mates, Wednesday had accepted her. Wednesday had confessed her love, and Enid had confessed right back. This did not mean it would go perfectly for them.

Wednesday was prepared for hardship. Maybe it was due to her being a raven. Maybe her track record was not very good in the feelings department.

She had already hurt Enid, yet she had also helped Enid in many ways.

She knew they needed to talk. She just could not bring herself to do so tonight.

As she entered her room and found her now girlfriend asleep in her spot of the bed, she let out the most miniscule breath.

Such a beautiful woman asleep in her bed, wrapped in her blankets. Enid was as peaceful as peaceful could be. For the first time, Wesnesday did not want to ruin someone's peace.

She changed and climbed into bed, Enid instantly turned and latched onto Wednesday.

Wednesday stiffened, it was unfamiliar territory.