8

CAMERON

Present

Her home was small like mine yet the moment I stepped into the threshold, I felt like I could finally breathe.

Every time I thought back to the email or to the fact that I didn't have a damn house anymore, nausea rolled through my stomach. I hadn't just gotten the news I was homeless. I mean, I knew the fact the day before. Just seeing that email made it all real.

It made the whispers that clouded the forefront of my mind real- that all along, I was a failure. This just proves it.

Shaking my head from the reverie I was thrust into, I focused on Lia who was locking the door behind us. Her apartment opened up from a short hallway into the living room, furnished with two couches, a coffee table, and a TV pushed back to the wall. Across the living room was the kitchen which must've been less than 10 feet lengthwise and six feet wide. To the right of the kitchen, a hall that must've led to the bedrooms.

I watched Lia turn around and let out a breath, a blush dusting her cheeks. Even though I was standing in front of her with her hoodie on and without a house to call my own, she still seemed embarrassed by her home. She looked around nervously and offered me a smile, "You feeling better?"

No.

But looking at the hopeful smile on her face, I smiled for her, hoping it related to the number of thanks I owed her, "Yes, again, thank you."

She nodded, knotting her hands in front of her. A look of surprise washed over her face and she gestured toward the couches. "Have a seat. I'll get the shower ready for you and something to change into."

Her kindness and hospitality were shocking in a comfortable way. I watched her pull on a smile and move towards the hall, opening a door and quickly walking through.

With a sigh, I let my eyes roam over the small details in the apartment that made it hers. Only a few pictures sat against the counter top and at a closer look at them, I smiled. The picture farthest to the left was a picture of two girls, maybe only a couple of years different in age, bundled together in front of a fire, candy canes in each of their small hands. The picture looked worn- faded around the sides and corners from wear.

To the right was a more recent picture of Keegan and Lia. Her hair was longer here, falling in loose curls around her arms. Keegan had his arms around her and was in the middle of lifting her in the air. The picture had been taken as she threw her head back and let out a laugh, clinging to Keegan in fear of falling.

My eyes had just found the last picture before I heard a door close down the hall. "I don't know if Keegan will mind that I'm giving you these, but..." She trailed off when she noticed me in front of the array of pictures.