“Let me talk to him, Liam,” I told him.

“Not so that he can convince you of God knows what. We weren’t doing anything bad. Don’t let him guilt you into anything,” Liam said, but he didn’t make a move to leave.

Caine’s eyes slowly started shifting back to their grayish green color, and I noticed his claws were gone.

“We will talk.”

Caine took ahold of my hand and pulled me to him. When Liam tried to get me away, I held up my hand.

“Don’t let him do this to you, Charlie.” Liam’s voice softened when he talked to me.

“I’m just going to explain everything. If he doesn’t understand it then we’ll go.”

Caine growled at my words, and he tightened his hold on my hand.

“Well in that case,” Liam said.

He turned to smirk at Caine, but I could tell he was still very much alert.

“Don’t forget I did sleep with Charlie all night long,” Liam taunted.

Caine went to attack Liam and I just had a second to stand in front of him, and place my hands on his chest to keep him back. Liam laughed but he did leave the room.  

Caine was breathing loudly. He was trying to keep his Wolf away. Liam’s comment had really worked him up.

“I know you didn’t do anything with him,” Caine finally said after a few minutes.

“Well that’s reassuring,” I muttered sarcastically.

“You were still with him and he was hardly wearing any clothes,” he accused.

“Liam is like my brother, Caine. You need to understand that.”

“But he’s not your brother. He is a man and he was with you alone, in a bed.”

I groaned when he said those words. What he was insinuating really bothered me. I was trying to understand his point of view, I really was.

I had gotten so used to Liam and having him taking care of me. All of my documents had Liam as my brother and guardian. I had taken Liam’s last name. To me, he was like my brother, whether we were related by blood or not. Caine just didn’t see it like that.

“I hope you get those ideas out of your head, and get your mind out of the gutter,” I said, shaking my head.

“Don’t try to distract me.”

“Then don’t be gross. Liam is like my brother. I don’t want to hear you saying otherwise or making insinuations about Liam and me in any other way. Seriously, that’s disgusting,” I told him, annoyed that I even had to clear it up.

My face felt warm. I felt embarrassed about my words. If Adam had heard me saying that, he’d probably make fun of me.

When I looked up, I found Caine staring at me attentively. I wanted to ask him what he was thinking but I didn’t dare.

He had returned to his usual quiet self.

I sighed when I got tired of all his staring.  

“My mom is a Werewolf and my dad is a human. When I turned thirteen, I didn’t shift like the rest of the pups did. I was the only one from my pack that didn’t shift.”

I didn’t feel ready to share what had happened with him but it seemed like it was the only way to get him to see my side of things. Getting kicked out of the pack and having to leave my family and home was something that still haunted me.