Chapter 1

"Vindona!"

I screamed, feeling someone suddenly grab my hand. When I turned around, I saw a very tall woman. She had dark hair and glowing skin which was quite unnatural. However I didn't have time to notice a lot about her traits being focused on the fact that she was holding my wrist very tightly. Way too tightly for it not to b painful. Why was she holding me so tight? I had never seen her face before but she was still looking at me with very intense eyes. She was making me nervous when I should have been angry instead. It was as if she knew me. But that was impossible, I had no idea who she was. I tried pulling my hand away but she was so strong that I couldn't get away from her and my wrist started really hurting:

"Let me go."

She was still staring at every inch of my face, not letting go of me for a second.

"Let me go!"

The stranger finally woke up and let go of my wrist with a confused look:

"Vindona, I have been looking everywhere for you.

-You are mistaking me for someone else.

-Vindona... I...

-My name is Sela. Not Vindona."

The strange woman froze and she looked so sad that I didn't know what to say. I kind of felt bad not being the person she was looking for.

"You are Vindona."

Never mind. She was too stubborn for me.

"I am not.

-You are.

-Listen, you have the wrong person so leave me alone.

-You can't leave. I finally found you."

I tried walking away but the stranger grabbed my other wrist. I tried my best not to slap her and forced myself to breathe calmly:

"Don't touch me.

-You can't leave again. I have been looking for you for thousands of...

-For the last time: let me go. I am not the person you have been looking for and you are scaring me.

-How could you leave me? Why did you? I...

-Let me go!"

This was too much. I pushed the stranger with all my might but she didn't budge an inch. I knew I shouldn't have come to the capital.

When I heard about the ball I couldn't help but be charmed but I regretted it now. I grew up in an orphanage and my friends and I always dreamed about going to the annual ball together. It was held in the capital and everyone was invited to attend but we didn't have the money to buy dresses or even to get to the capital. It was just a dumb dream that young girls talked about when the lights were off. We didn't really mean it and just needed something to dream about. At least I didn't mean it. For some reason when my friends were talking about a blond prince charming that they would meet at the castle and fall in love with, I didn't find that romantic at all. I really wanted to see the ballroom and would have loved to wear a beautiful dress there but finding a prince wasn't my dream at all. However I didn't say anything about it and just pretended to share the same dream as my friends. I didn't want to taint our time together.

We grew up and started working, leaving the orphanage one after the other. Not a lot of us got adopted and when we left the orphanage it was by ourselves. I started putting money aside thinking that someday I would open a cafe or a library and live my own life. My best friend, Lenora, however never forgot about our little fantasies and would talk about the annual ball every once and then. I always listened to her but never thought much about it. I opened my own restaurant and was doing well. I didn't really like cooking but I just wanted my own business and found that I was amazing at bossing people around. I was living a peaceful life and I didn't think that someday Lenora would run up to me with a huge smile, telling me to come with her to the capital. I had completely forgotten about the capital. I was perfectly happy with my business and my friends but seeing how excited she was, I couldn't say no. Who else would have gone with her if not me? We had been talking about it for years and I had to support her in this journey. We would have fun and we would remember that night for the rest of our days. I couldn't have been more right...