Between Matter and Illusion

Start from the beginning

"That's good, anything else?"

Macaque took an uncomfortable pause. "...I'm good at illusions and blending into shadows, but I don't wanna do that." He said dejectedly. "Do you have anything that can, I don't know, give me some other talent and take away this one?"

"Ah, you're one of those. Macaque, was it? You need to learn about self love and accepting yourself for who you are. Those illusions could save lives one day."

"But I wanna be a cool warrior who can defeat anything in his way."

"That's stupid." Deadpanned Baboon. "Not every problem can be solved with brute force."

Macaque froze before his shoulders dropped dejectedly.

Baboon saw this and felt a pang of guilt stab his heart.

"BUUUT, y'know. Violence is SOMETIMES the answer. So, uh, maybe I can try to teach you something." Said Baboon with a shrug.

Macaque's face brightened up immediately causing Baboon to sigh with a smile.

It was time to build with Legos.

xxXxx

"Alright, Macaque, the most important thing when playing with Legos is to have fun. Are you having fun, kiddo?" Asked Baboon cheerfully.

"No. These look like kids' toys." Said Macaque holding a few Lego bricks.

"HAHAHA!" Baboon made an exaggerated laugh. "Of course not! They're the building blocks of our reality! If they're toys, we're toys and we're not toys, are we?"

"No?"

"Good, discard the existential crisis."

Ignoring Baboon's remark, Macaque tried to make the Legos into something decent but failed as the bricks refused to stick together.

Macaque quickly gave up on the Legos sat on a rock sulking.

"Hey, maybe it's just not your calling. We can try other stuff if you want." Said Baboon before Macaque's six ears perked. "Like spaceships and stuff."

Baboon and Macaque played together til midnight. They never did find Macaque's knack, but it wasn't such a bad time.

Eventually, Macaque left Baboon's home to head to his home.

But little did he know of what was waiting ahead.

xxXxx

The next day.

"FOUL BABOON! WE HAVE CAPTURED YOUR SUBORDINATE! FACE US OR HE WILL TASTE OUR WRATH."

Baboon, who was sunbathing, frowned as he heard the familiar nuisance.

"Oh god, this again." He said tiredly as he got up to see what was happening. "And where did they get subordinate from?"

Baboon froze as he looked down from the mountain to see Macaque trapped in a cage.

"Oh no." Baboon said in a panic as he dashed to the bottom of the mountain.

Baboon wasn't about to let that kid die on his watch.

"You've gone too far this time" Said Baboon angrily as the ground began to shake when his eyes glowed red.

"STOP! OR ELSE SIX EARS GETS IT!" Said the leader of whoever these people were as he pointed a spear at Macaque.

Baboon flinched and stopped before raising his hands in surrender, causing Macaque to silently panic as tears began to well in his eyes.

xxXxx