"Just one more class for the day and then I get to go home." I paused, realizing that the thought didn't have much appeal. "Well, one more class for the day and then I get to go home and lock myself in my room until dinner."

I hardly had to glance at the padlock on my locker before muscle memory kicked in and I opened the metal door with a loud shriek of the rusty hinges. Replacing a few books from my bag for the next class, I exhaled a sigh when I realized I felt like I was on a vicious loop day in and day out. The only thing I ever felt I made progress on were ideas I sketched down for potential opportunities in the future. My uncle was always looking for new ideas to bring to life, so I tried to come up with some to show that I wasn't entirely useless.

My family runs a small local business, a dinner theater of sorts, and it became smaller when my uncle became the sole owner after the death of everyone else running it. It puts him under a lot of stress, hence why my sibling and I go without attention most of the time. He was often tempted to simply sell the place, but I didn't want him to. Call me selfish, but the only reason I tolerate my household is because I hope that in the near future, I'll be the one running the place. It was my mother's idea, it was her dream, and she even wanted that dream for me and my sister when she found out that she was pregnant with us. We're twins, my sister and myself, but I am technically the oldest. Therefore, the business is meant to go to me.

Taking one of my journals from my locker, I realized that it was one of my earlier ones, not the one I wanted, which dated back to when I completed it four years ago. The promise of nostalgia was enticing, so I flipped through the book of sketches, a smile slowly creeping up my lip as I browsed through memory lane. Costumes with sparkly colors that were designed to catch the eye, masks with weird complexions, and stories with wild endings that send people reeling.

"So much for children expressing themselves." I hummed as I smacked the book shut.

I'm not completely heartless, I still plan to assist my uncle and sister, but my cousin on the other hand will need to pull some weight. The family business is one of two things that I even desire in this in-the-middle-of-nowhere town, and that's why I stay. However, according to whatever laws that are in place because of my mother being dead, the business went to my uncle, and because he has a son, the business might go to my cousin if I'm not careful. I just need to give my uncle a bit of convincing so he passes the business to me once he retires. Normally, this is something that one wouldn't have to worry about until later in life, but with the business being in limbo between failure and success, my uncle might pass this baton on sooner rather than later.

My cousin is a deadbeat, to put it nicely, so giving the business to him would guarantee closure within a year.

"Do you always stare blankly into your locker, or are you actually going to blink like a normal human being?"

I heard the new arrival chuckle and lean against the locker beside mine. With a small smirk spreading across my face, I rolled my eyes at his teasing, recognizing the voice instantly. Closing the locker door, I turned around to face him, leaning my shoulder onto the cold metal surface. He gave me a smug smirk as he pulled his beanie cap further over his head, making sure it was snug. I can honestly say that I have only seen him once without that hat on - His borderline large and unruly hair was the only thing he kept hidden under it.

"Maybe I don't feel like blinking? Ever think of that, Clipsy?" I teased in return, using a nickname I gave him that I knew would make him scoff.

"Ugh. Not so loud! All of the seniors will hear you. Just say Liam, yeesh," he replied as he waved me off.

His first name wasn't Liam, but that was his middle name and also his preferred name over his given first one. According to what he told me, his mother has a fascination with bizarre and uncommon names. Liam's actual first name was Eclipse because he was born on the day of one occurring. Although I haven't met her, Liam claims that his older sister has an absurd name as well, something also galaxy-themed.