Mitsuri x Reader

Thanks @PowerKima for the request!
———

The town was bright and cheery with its spring festival in full force.  Streamers lined the streets with flowers in every window.  The smell of sweetness and peace lingered in the night air, the stars shining down on the happy townspeople who twirled and danced to the music of local musicians.  Perhaps the best night of the year, everyone was happy with anticipation for the new season. 

This was my favorite time of the year by far.  After working for so long and saving up my money, I now strolled through the streets with a wide smile I couldn't shake off.  The colors and fragrances were nearly overwhelming all of my senses in the best way possible.  It was such a beautiful night, nothing could drag me down. 

Little kids ran through the streets with flowery pinwheels in their tiny hands, their parents laughing to each other as they walked dreamily through the crowd.  Young couples handed each other bouquets and danced in a slow sway, admirers bashfully confessing under the starlight to the person of their interest.  It was all so magnificent and showed all the beautiful aspects of humanity I sometimes forgot existed. 

In the end, I felt a bit jealous and longed for my own partner to spend the night with.  Women with flowers pinned in their hair swirled in the mix, each one beautiful and alluring in their own ways.  For me though, I couldn't choose just any girl to give my heart to.  She had to be beyond special, someone I was instantly drawn to and could see myself being with for more than a heated fling.  Maybe my expectations were too high but I knew I'd find her one day, it was only a matter of time. 

Passing by a couple musicians and a crowd of dancers, I paused a few moments to look at the beautiful people twirling left and right in absolute bliss.  That's the exact feeling I wanted for myself, absolute bliss and the type of carefree that would heal me for a few moments, my soul flying higher than my body.  Maybe tonight I'd be able to achieve that wonderful state of mind that leaves people numb and fumbling for words. 

My gaze moved from each person to the next, loving the happiness in everyone's expression.  When I spotted someone staring back at me though, I was caught by surprise.  My shock could've been for two reasons, one of them being that I hadn't expected someone to not be utterly transfixed with the dance enough to look my way and the other being that the girl staring at me was beyond beautiful.  She was absolutely divine. 

My heart skipped a beat as I felt myself straighten up in response to her bright stare.  She had paused mid twirl to look at me, her hands still raised above her head.  Something in her expression shifted from one of curiosity to delight as she started to make her way towards me.  I instantly felt nervous butterflies erupt in my stomach as a flustered smile twitched onto my lips in anticipation of what she wanted from me. 

I couldn't help my gaze that traveled over her body, from her soft pink hair to her uniform that looked familiar in a way that I couldn't think straight enough to fully recognize.  There was something about her that made me unreasonably giddy that I had somehow managed to grab her attention.  This had to be a prank of some sort.  There was no way she was coming towards me with joy radiating from her in wonderful waves that washed over me. 

"Hey there, it's a beautiful night, isn't it?" the girl smiled, now suddenly in front of me.  I must've zoned out while thinking of her that I hadn't expected her to be standing before me, the starlight and lanterns casting her in a soft light.  Her voice was bright and soothing, luring me in like I had always hoped to be caught by someone someday.  Could it be that she was the one even though I didn't even know her? 

"It truly is.  I do believe your presence here is only making the night jealous though," I smiled softly, holding my hand out invitingly.  She could absolutely be the one with the way her eyes shimmered brightly, a light blush coating her face that only made her look more beautiful.  It almost wasn't fair but I also wasn't complaining. 

"I'm sorry if this is forward but can we dance?" she asked with a hopeful shimmer in her eyes that was impossible to turn down.  My pulse was already fast and only quickened as I nodded in a daze, her hands reaching out eagerly to grab my hands.  Her skin was soft as she guided me into the crowd of dancers, leading me with ease when her arms wrapped around my shoulders.  My hands found her waist a bit nervously but as we started to sway, it felt like I'd been dancing with her for years.  Gazing into her eyes, I wondered if I'd be able to dance with her for the years to come.