18. free woman before a mated one

Start from the beginning

I join the laughter. While I don't understand most things, it's funny that his kids are calling him with such trouble. In my more human world, you just avoid talking about kids planning with your parents. They know you have sex, and that's that, "It's good to hear your kids still call home when bothered by something."

"Oh yeah, it's good to still be wanted. When they were kids I was a part of their game of life, but now I'm thrown to the bench, just a spectator for the crazy things they learn every day. Finally, after eighteen years of female hell," His wife slaps his chest, "I am their advice giver, safe space, and shoulder to lean on. I wouldn't have it any other way."

"You're a good dad, Sanders." I mumble. Yasmine smiles in agreement, Levi dropping his arm from my shoulder to lay a hand over my waist.

"And you'll be an amazing mother, Luna."

Out of respect I give him a smile, but I say nothing in return. No need to dig that grave. This pack has hopes, and while I don't favor the idea of staying here... I shouldn't be burning bridges before I finally figure it all out.

"We are going to head out and get a martini in my beautiful mate, see you guys there." Levi yells out to the group, all of them cheering in return. My cheeks turn a bright red as he turns us to the car garage.

"Besides your car, do you have a preference?"

The garage of overpriced metals comes into my sights, I scan over the area landing on the same truck that I was taken in, "Let's take the truck."

"Any particular reason?"

"Curious to see how well you cleaned bloody mary's out of your front seat after my solo concert that night."

"I won't lie, I had to give it to the professionals." A smile takes over his face, I send one back. It could be easy between us, you know?

He leads me over to the truck letting me take the step up into the passenger seat. His hands stay held in the air around me until I successfully buckle myself in. I frown at him when he checks the seatbelt, but soon enough leaves me alone to run back around to the driver's side, "Do you ever plan on letting me drive?"

Levi gives me the look, "When I'm convinced you won't drive us into a tree."

"And about how long is that?"

"When you're swollen with our pups."

Oh. He drives me into silence again. I fiddle with the dead skin of nails while he keeps his priority on getting to the bar. Neither Levi nor I continue the conversation. Much has been said between us, as well as not enough. This complicated wall of should I just give in and run as far as you can is settled between us. His desire for me to want to stay willingly is a stretch, how can I stay somewhere take takes away the things I thought made me happy?

However, when talking with Yasmine and Tiki... that made me happy. I loved laughing with Freddy and listening to their more human problems. It was welcoming, and desirable. These interactions that the pack value so much are things I was never blessed with. Darrel made it clear it was work then home, until I decided to piss him off.

"We're here." Levi mumbles, I unclick the seat belt pausing to roll my thumbs around each other, "Cherry..."

He doesn't continue, and I understand. Things are complicated between us. I only add to it with my conflictions within myself. How can I claim married but make out with him in the middle of a forest? Cuddle with him during a movie?"

"Did he sign the papers?"

Levi tightened his grip on the steering wheel his knuckles turning white, "He burned them in front of the lawyer and said to kiss his ass."

"And then what?" I grip the door tightly, somehow I know the response.

"He informed him that he's looking for you, and when he finds you it won't be pretty."

I hold my breath. The words I want to say don't form, nothing expect the thoughts of him throwing a can at my head or locking me in the basement until the laundry was finished.

"And you didn't tell me this why?"

"He's on the run, his scent dropped off in a border state. I assume you were safe and didn't need to know the details."

"I need a very strong drink, and tomorrow," I click open the door, "Some explanation. I'm not agreeing to be with anyone until I'm divorced."