Chapter 7: Bullet vs Arrow

Start from the beginning

"Damn it!"

Unfortunately, the approaching sound of police sirens also meant she didn't have time to properly examine the room. She could only take the laptop Lawton had been typing at and hope she could get some information out of it.

*

Lydia was feeling frustrated. The laptop she had taken from Lawton had gotten caught in the crossfire when she had tried to catch him the previous night. Which meant it was riddled with bullet holes. The damned thing wouldn't even turn on now. At this point Lydia had spent next to four hours with the laptop hooked up to the computers in the Foundry in an attempt to retrieve the data in it. She had dismissed Oliver a while ago, since despite having experience in many fields, computers wasn't exactly one of them. However, even Lydia was having trouble this time. But she did know someone who she was sure could crack this.

She picked up her phone and dialed a number she hadn't called in close to two years.

"Hey, Babs. You there?"

"Lydia? Oh my god, is that really you? I... I saw you came back to Starling on the news, but... god, it's great to hear from you."

Lydia smiled at hearing the voice of her friend. It had been far too long since she'd talked with Barbara Gordon.

"It's great to hear from you too. But unfortunately, this is not a pleasure call. I need your help."

"I figured as much. What do you need?"

"The Hood and I are trying to track down a hitman whose calling card are 7.62 millimeter rounds laced with curare. His name is Floyd Lawton." Lydia explained.

"Wait, you're going after Deadshot?"

Lydia frowned. She hadn't expected Barbara to have known about Deadshot, though in hindsight perhaps it wasn't that surprising. Lawton had taken contracts all over the world. No doubt he would have had some in Gotham. Frankly, if the thought of calling Barbara had crossed her mind before, maybe they could have avoided having to deal with the Bratva again.

"Yeah. You've dealt with him before?"

"Four years ago. One of the Sicilian families hired him to carry out a couple of hits. Luke kinda took point on it. He was the only one who could keep up with Deadshot at range." Barbara told her.

Luke. Luke Marshall, another member of the group of vigilantes watching over Gotham. And one that had become a close friend to Lydia during her time there. A friend she also should really have called already too. Or maybe...

"Not surprising. Do you think he'd be up for a quick trip to Starling? Lend us a little hand?"

"Under normal circumstances, I'm sure he would be more than happy to." Barbara began.
"But, well... Bruce and Dick had a falling out. Dick cut ties with him and left for Blüdhaven, and Luke... Luke is caught up in all of this and not really sure which way to turn."

"Oh."

Lydia tried not to let her disappointment and worry show too much. At hearing that Luke had dealt with Deadshot before, a part of her had felt excitement at the possibility of working with him again. At the same time, she was keenly aware of how close Bruce Wayne and the rest of his team were, in particular his ward Dick Grayson. Whatever had happened to cause a rift so bad that it would push Dick to move to a different city must have been serious. The thought made Lydia wish she could be there to help Luke. But she had a mission here in Starling City. And no matter what, the mission came first.

"If... if he ever needs someone to talk to... he can always call me."

"I'll let him know, Lyds." Barbara assured.
"Now, about that sniper issue you were having."