Chapter 7: Bullet vs Arrow

Laurel's arrival surprised Lydia. She had been relaxing on the couch after finishing up dinner, the TV turned on to channel 52, who seemed to be covering the murder of Carl Rasmussen, to pass the time. And then she heard the key turning in the lock and her blood froze. The next few seconds were a mad dash to turn the TV off and grab her schoolwork before Laurel actually entered the apartment. Needless to say, she wasn't very successful.

"Lydia, were you watching TV instead of doing your schoolwork?"

"No?" Lydia replied, her sentence coming out more as a question than the definitive statement she wanted it to be.

Laurel raised an eyebrow and crossed her arms.

"Alright, fine. Yes, I was watching TV. But I've been working on this all afternoon and it's almost done. I can just finish it tomorrow."

Laurel shook her head with a sigh, though there was a smile tugging at her lips.

"Fine. But you're getting on that first thing tomorrow." she relented.

Lydia nodded. No point in arguing with Laurel, nor did she want to. Of course, she would just have to hope any evening activities didn't stretch out into the morning.

"So, how was your night out?"

Laurel let out a longer sigh, setting her purse down on the table.

"It was... interesting."

Lydia raised an eyebrow as she spotted a little grin on Laurel's face.

"Anyway, I'll be in my room if you need anything."

"I'll let you know if I do." Lydia replied with a nod.

She watched as Laurel entered her room before going to her own. Just as she closed the door, she felt her phone vibrating.

"What's up?" she asked as she picked up her phone.

"The Bratva came through." Oliver said from the other end of the line.
"Deadshot's real name is Floyd Lawton. They also gave me the address he stayed at the last time he was in Starling: 1700 Broadway, Papp Motel, room 52."

"Alright, I'll check it out. Let's hope he's a creature of habit."

With that, Lydia hung up and slipped out the window. She made a quick stop at the Foundry to grab her gear, then made her way to the motel. Security inside wasn't very tight, probably the reason why Lawton chose it the last time he had been in the city. While it probably meant that she wouldn't get much help in apprehending Lawton, Lydia was grateful for the easy entrance. She treaded lightly, taking care not to let her footsteps make the slightest sound as she walked up to the door of room 52. She waited a bit, leaning against the wall and listening for any sounds coming from inside. She heard a quiet clacking, like the keys on a keyboard. Deadshot was inside.

With his presence confirmed, Lydia took a step back before delivering a strong kick to break the door open. In another situation she would have picked a less noisy approach, but with Lawton's reputation she reckoned he would have been able to hear her picking the lock. As it was, the loud cracking of the lock breaking gave him just enough time to dodge out of the way of the first arrow she fired. Lydia fired two more arrows, but Lawton lunged behind his bed to use the mattress as cover. He then returned fire, forcing Lydia to take cover in the hallway. She was surprised by the gun he seemed to have used. It seemed to have the firing rate of a submachine gun, yet the muzzle flash seemed to come from his wrist. She attempted to fire again, but barely caught a glimpse of the room before she was forced to retreat into cover again.

The volley of gunfire was followed by the sound of glass shattering, prompting Lydia to rush back into the room. Deadshot had made his escape, leaving behind only a broken window.