sixty seven

The windows to my mom's car were blacked out for obvious reasons; the paparazzi followed us—specifically me—every where.

After what happened a few months back at the USJ, U.A implemented a strict no paparazzi within two miles of the premises policy so luckily for me, I'm safe at school.

Although I'm not so fortunate anywhere else besides school and my home—which is within two miles of the school. Especially right now while we're on our way to my grandparents' house.

That line still seems crazy to me—I have actual grandparents. They live and breath and we share the same blood. Clean blood. I never knew much about my father's side of the family and I'm acutely certain I don't want to.

I tried to imagine what life would be like if I were still under his thumb—it seems bleak. Because although my life feels heavy right now, I'm impossibly more happier now than I was working for him.

"We're here." I look out the window to the large suburban home, a smile tugging my lips.

Shifting in my seat, a wave of unease washes over me—my anxiety likes to announce it's presence at the most unconventional times. My mom notices my apprehension and covers my hand with hers as I clutch the seat below me.

"They'll love you, hun. Trust me?" She gives me a hopeful smile and that alone helps ease my unnerve. "Always." And I do trust her, I trust her with my life as I always did and always will.

Standing infront of the front door makes pins and needles shoot through my hands. I shake them out while blowing out a shakey breath. My fear mainly stems from anticipating their disappointment.

It's not as if I have the cleanest government record and my mind keeps nagging me about that specific anomaly. Because who wants an ex-convict—let alone an ex-villain—as a granddaughter? I'll let you estimate the answer to that question.

My mom grips my hand to prevent me from ripping my cuticles to shreds and gives it a reassuring squeeze. The door opens and my knuckle cracking comes to a stop as I look to the stunning woman infront of me.

She looks like my mom and me but she has the most greenest eyes I have ever seen—and I'm friends with Izuku Midoriya. Her smile is vibrant and her long black tresses are held up in a high ponytail, her cheekbones on show.

Her long floral dress matches her red shoes and I'm immediately enamored by her. She looks to be in her late thirties but if she is my grandmother, she has to be atleast fifty.

She wraps me in a bone crushing hug and it's almost as if I lack the ability to breathe for a split second. "Oh my goodness, my grandbaby! You're even more gorgeous in person!" I think a tear falls out my eye but I don't notice it.

She plants her manicured hands on my shoulders, her teary eyes meeting mine. "You look just like your mother." I now take note of the big sob that tears from my throat and it embarrasses me in a way nothing ever has.

I've always thought that I looked exactly like him so her telling me this, it's rewired something in me. She's crying too as she hugs me like I'm going to disappear from sight.

She steps back and we both wipe our faces with a chuckle. I give her the best smile I can muster and try not to let my lip wobble.

"It's so great to meet you. Thank you for inviting us over." She waves me off as she wipes her cheeks, a bright smile gracing her lips. "Sweetie, you are family. Don't thank me for doing the bare minimum."

She then looks to my mom and gives her a hug, "Your mother here has been holding out on us. We've been meaning to meet you for a good while but she insisted you were still settling in." She says like my mom offended her.