Chapter Thirty Four

Start from the beginning

"Well, I'm sure he appreciates you getting it done." I reach into the bag, pulling out two sandwiches and handing him one.

"Eh, I think he's just trying to create more tension between me and my guys. Now I look like the asshole who is making them do all of this shit when it really came from him. I'm getting tired of playing along with his games."

Part of me thinks that Tanner is being a little hard on Morgan, especially considering he's not really back at one hundred percent like he claims. He's obviously masking the pain in his leg, and his avoidance makes me think there's even more to it. No one likes to be micromanaged the way Tanner is, but maybe Morgan is a little more intuitive than he's giving him credit for. Something tells me that's not what Tanner wants to hear, though, so I keep my opinion to myself. "Has he said anything about how much longer he'll be here?"

"Not really. He can't leave soon enough, though." He grumbles. "This looks great. Thank you for bringing lunch."

"Of course." I smile. "Everything end up okay with James last night?"

I catch him mid-bite, but Tanner nods. "It did. I don't think it really has anything to do with you. He's just having a tough time with Gwen right now. She got his hopes up again, and now she's leaving and she's trying to shift the blame onto anyone but herself. It's how she's always been. Can't take responsibility for a damn thing." He rolls his eyes. "You know she actually told him that I forced her to get married because she got pregnant with him?"

My eyes widened, a sinking feeling settling in my stomach. "She did what?"

"Yeah. So when I started telling him how miserable we were together, he blamed himself. It killed me to hear him talk about it. I don't know how she could do that or think that it would be a good idea." He sounds so defeated, and my heart breaks for the both of them.

"I'm so sorry, Tanner. That's really awful. I can't imagine how that must have made him feel."

"And the worst part is, even after that, all he wants is for her to be in his life and she doesn't get it. She keeps letting him down." He shakes his head in disbelief. "I'd never keep the boys from her, but sometimes I just feel like we'd all be better off without her.

"James is a smart kid, and he'll realize the kind of person she is sooner or later, but I know it can't be easy to watch." This is wearing on Tanner, too, and it only goes to show what an amazing father he is. All he wants is for his boys to be safe and happy, and Gwen is so unpredictable that she's a threat to everything he's working for.

Tanner clenches his jaw, his mind somewhere else for a brief second.

As I reach across the table for his hand, he interlaces our fingers. "You're doing a great job with him. He and Lucas are both so sweet and well adjusted, and they know how much you love them. They know that you're doing your best and someday they appreciate it."

"You sound like you're speaking from experience..." He leads, waiting for me to continue.

Tanner knows my parents are divorced, but I haven't gotten into any of the specifics with him, and maybe it's time.

"My dad was just like Gwen. When my parents got divorced, he was in and out and always trying to be the fun parent. He left all the heavy lifting to my mom while he got to shower us with exotic vacations and expensive gifts. When you're young, and a parent is love bombing you like that, you can't see it for what it really is, but as I got older, I knew. It never stops. He tried to play the hero by giving me the beach house when I came home, and as much as I love it, I wouldn't have taken it if I hadn't been completely desperate. My mom has always been the one I can count on, just like you are for your boys, and that's what I remember now."

He brushes his lips against the back of my hand. "So you know how James is feeling..."

I nod. "I hope you don't mind, but I told him that this morning."

"This morning?" Confusion washes over him and for the first time, I realize that James might not have told his dad that he was there.

"Yeah... I figured you knew." I press my lips together, hoping I didn't step on anyone's toes. "He came to my house. He didn't tell you?"

"I mean, I told him he needed to apologize to you, but I'm a little surprised he took the initiative to do it already." He lets out a sharp laugh.

"Well, he did." I shrug. "And we actually had a really good talk. I told him about how I felt when my parents got divorced and my dad started dating again. In a roundabout way, I guess we understand each other."

"That was really incredible of you to share that with him. It probably helped to talk to someone who's been there before. I can't tell you how much I appreciate it."

"It was no problem. James is a great kid."

"He is, isn't he?" Tanner grins with pride. "Now, how about that tour I promised you?"