Murky Aura

Two hundred people all dressed up wild, here comes my baby, ooo sweet child.
Having a party, we're having a party tonight!
Spiceseeker and Nick.

October 2021.
Southern California.

"Ray, I never really understood what you did when we recorded on that four-track cassette studio. You always just told me what to play and sing, or told me when to hit the start or stop button. Can you explain the process?"

"Sure, Peter. I plugged the microphones into the different inputs, then assigned them to the correct output buss, then mixed those with... what, did I lose you already?"

He sighed. "C'mon, Ray. You know I was never good with technology like you and Nick. Speaking of him, why were you always the one who did the recording when it was Nick's equipment?"

I opened up a spreadsheet on his laptop. "I'll make some diagrams to make it easier to understand. Meanwhile, to answer your last question, when Nick bought the four-track in 1983, he handed me the box and said, "Here, Ray. Figure out how to use this."

"I can see him doing that, but wasn't he mechanically inclined? After all, he was a design drafter by trade. Did you already know about recording?"

I laughed, "Yeah, sort of, Peter. We actually recorded a bunch of stuff in 1982 using two regular stereo cassette decks, and our PA mixer. Real ghetto style."

"Hahaha, Ray. That's kind of your superpower."

I snapped imaginary suspenders. "Correct. But I'll explain the simple two tape deck method first, and it maybe it will help you understand the more complicated process of the four-track."

He rose from his patio chair. "Ok. I'll be back, I gotta take a leak."

I taunted him as he entered the condominium. "Remember, more than three shakes is wanking."

He turned back. "Really? Even if it's just the tip?"

"Heh. I'll spot you a few extra shakes on account of being old. Not that it matters, none of our valves seal the way they used to."

While he went into the bathroom, I pulled up a good example of a 1982 recording, pictures of the equipment, and made a simple diagram. Pleased with my work, I took another hit from the vape, and intently observed a squirrel fussing about in the overhanging oak tree.

Lily and I snuggled on a grassy hillside one warm spring morning, watching the squirrels, then she rolled onto me and we...

Heh. I guess it wasn't all bad...

Peter returned with a bowl of grapes, which I quickly devoured. "Munchies, Ray?"

"You know it. Ok, so after Nick and I graduated high school, we retired our band instruments. He bought a drum set, and I bought an electric guitar and amp. The two of us wrote five songs, then we got his brother to sing, and another guy to play bass. A month of rehearsals later, Rat Patrol played at a party."