Dancin' In The Moonlight

Sophomore Year In A Highschool Far Far Away.

****

I sucked in a breath, hoping to steady myself as I waited for Drew. I never considered myself brave, certainly not brave enough to ask anyone out, especially a junior. But with the dance approaching, I couldn't waste any more time.

Drew and I had been talking, every day. And every time I sat by him, I forgot how to breathe.

I wanted to know if he felt the same way. I needed to know.

So, I waited at the front doors of the school. He'd meet me there any minute like he always did so we could walk to the bus together.

And for once, it was nice not being alone all the time.

Emma was no help; all she did was talk about herself. But Drew? He actually listened.

When he walked out the door, I fought the urge to run. Some of us are more flight than fight.

"Hey," Drew said, unaware I was on the verge of making a fool of myself.

"Hi," my voice cracked. Was I always terminally awkward? Or did he just bring it out in me?

We started walking down the sidewalk, "How was your day?" He asked. "Did Mrs. McCarthy give you trouble again?"

I laughed, a forced, odd laugh. "She handed back my quiz and it had 'do better' written on it in big red letters."

"Ouch. I'm sure it wasn't that bad."

"It was awful, actually, but thanks. You?"

He shrugged. "Oh, you know. It was all right." The goofy smile on his face told me it was more than just all right.

"Tell me about it."

"Well, it's Emma."

Oh no. "What about her?"

"We've been talking a lot and today, she cornered me in between fourth and fifth period."

"She did?" I asked, my heartbeat rising in my throat.

"Yeah, we're gonna go to the dance together."

I stared straight ahead, unable to show him the devastation scrawled over my face. "That's great," I said, not even convincing myself.

"I think it'll be fun. You'll be there, so."

"Right." What else was I supposed to say? Don't go? Go with me instead? "I'm glad you're going."

"Me too," he smiled at me, causing another wave of confusion to slam into me.

Before I could say something I'd regret, Drew turned toward his bus. "See you tomorrow."

I nodded, and then remembered how to speak. "See you tomorrow."

The walls glittered with dollar store decorations. A spectacle of flashing lights sparkled off the cellophane balloons while the whole school crowded onto the dance floor.

I stumbled in, still debating if I should turn around and go home but my mom insisted I attend, on principle.

My long burgundy dress flowed to the floor; I had to hold it to prevent tripping and falling on my face.

It wasn't long before Emma spotted me from across the room and rushed over with Drew by her side.

"Cassie, you made it!" She cooed. Her white-sequin dress shimmered underneath the lights and matched the "moonlight" theme the committee had dutifully chosen weeks prior.

"Yeah, I wouldn't miss it," I avoided eye contact with Drew. "Did I miss anything?" I asked, trying to lighten the mood.

"We were just trying to get some punch," Drew said.

Emma nodded. "Yeah, it is super packed. Next time we'll just have to bring our own beverages." She winked as if that wouldn't get us expelled in five seconds or less.

"Right," I laughed, "That sounds like a great idea."

She tossed her perfectly curled hair behind her shoulder and smiled. "Where's your date?"

I stared at her, annoyed by the question she already knew the answer to. "I don't have one. I decided to come by myself."

"Oh, a political statement," she purred, "I like it."

Before I could respond, Emma pulled her phone out of the bedazzled clutch at her side. "Oh my God. Marianne needs me. Total emergency in the bathroom. I'll be right back. Drew keep her company?"

"Uh sure," Drew frowned, as confused as I was.

I froze. My plan was to avoid Drew the whole night, not stand in the corner of the gym trying to make small talk.

"You look nice," he said.

I do?

Suddenly, my cheeks warmed. "Thanks."

"Did you do something different with your hair?"

Bonus points for noticing the waterfall braid I perfected in the mirror for hours before leaving the house. "Oh, it's just a braid."

A complicated-ass braid.

He smiled. "I like it."

I like you.

I cleared my throat, unable to say what I wanted to without ruining the night and our friendship.

Drew watched my expression shift, his eyes never leaving me. I avoided his gaze. It was easier that way. Then he asked, "Do you want to dance?"

I blinked in surprise and faced him. "What?"

He rubbed the back of his neck as if he was as nervous as I was. "I mean, the song is...nice."

A slow melody carried over the gym.

I bit the inside of my cheek, looking for an excuse. "Don't you think Emma would mind?"

He shrugged. "We're just here as friends."

My heart throbbed. Friends.

She did tell him to keep me company.

Drew held out his hand.

Then, before I could convince myself otherwise, I took it.