The birthday

6 months went by in a flash and Marina's preparations to move out of Howl's moving castle and in with her father in his underwater harbor tower were finished. She had learned as much as she could and memorized every spell and potion recipe in the books. All of her things were packed neatly in a suitcase and ready to go. "Hey kiddo, you ready?" Howl knocked on her open door before entering. "Yah, just making sure I have everything." Marina looked around and took in the view of her room one last time. The moment felt bittersweet. All of the memories of the good and the bad times came rushing through her mind like a movie. "So birthday girl, what do you want for your special birthday wish?" Howl snapped her out of her daze as he leaned against the doorframe. "I want to play with my friends." She answered after thinking for a moment. "Your wish is my command. Just don't tell your father." Howl joked as a smile grew on both of their faces. "I haven't told him anything about the last 6 months." Marina answered with a slight giggle. "If your father ever found out that I have been allowing you to be around humans and most importantly, play with human children your age, he would probably turn me into a toad." Howl joked as he moved towards Marina. "A big, ugly, slimy toad." He bent down and began to tickle her. "Uncle Howl! Cut it out! That tickles!" She spoke while laughing as he continued to tickle her. "Not to mention he would probably go bald!" He stopped and ran his fingers through his hair in the same manner that Fujimoto does when he begins to stress and panic. Marina sighed as she fell back onto her bed and spread out on top of the now empty mattress. "Did I make the right choice?" She asked, the laughter and happiness disappeared from her face. "Well, that's up to you." Howl spoke calmly, sensing she was having second thoughts. "If you want my opinion," Howl began as he lay back next to her. "There was only so much I could teach you. And you already learned, memorized, and mastered everything." Howl turned on his side and supported his head with his hand. "I know. But I will never get to see my friends again or be around kids my own age." Marina turned on her side to face Howl. "I know kiddo, but think of it this way!" Howl moved a piece of hair out of Marina's face. "You will get to learn so much more about ocean and water related magic. Spells, potions, rituals, you name it! You may even get to meet Oceanus and see the world below." He continued. "I know we have made a lot of memories together in the castle and with Calcifer. But if you want to uncover your full potential, I think it best that you learn and study under your father's guidance." Howl finished as he pulled her close to his chest with his free hand. "It'll be okay!" He consoled her as he wrapped both of his arms around her as she began to softly cry. "I'm going to miss you and Calcifer." She cried softly into his chest. "I know kiddo, I know. Calcifer and I will miss you too. But hey, we can always visit each other!" He pulled away and moved her off of him. "I have something for you." Howl reached into his pocket and pulled out a small box and handed it to her. Marina carefully opened it and pulled out a small folding hand mirror. "A folding hand mirror. It's beautiful, thank you." Marina admired all of the hand engraved details on it and held it close in her hand. "It's a magic mirror. Use it anytime to contact me." He began before explaining how the magic mirror worked and how to use it. "Thank you, thank you, thank you!" Marina hugged him tight, now crying tears of happiness. "You are very welcome! After you get more skilled in magic, you can use it to do so much more than just calling others." Howl hugged her back tight. "Come on, let's go find your friends." He spoke a while later. "Right. And I know. Don't tell them or father anything." Marina spoke as she and Howl pulled away from each other's embrace. Howl stood up and offered his hand to her to help her up. Taking his hand and standing up, she and Howl walked hand in hand down the stairs and into the main living area. "Go get the spell ready please Marina. Come on Calcifer." Howl picked up a cast iron pan and helped transfer Calcifer from the fireplace to the pan. "Where are we going? What are we doing?" Calcifer questioned as Marina used magic chalk dust to make a magic pentagram on the floor. "Very nice job! I taught you well!" Howl used his free hand to ruffle the top of her head. "Now then, let's begin! Marina, care to assist?" Howl held out his free hand after Marina happily nodded her head. "You remember how to do it right?" Howl asked as she took her place. "Eyup! I sure do!" She assured him, very confident in herself. As the spell began, Marina unknowingly transformed into her pre-fairy form, thus strengthening the spell. "Wow kiddo! You look so different. The dress suits you." Calcifer said in amazement after the spell ended. "That's a new look. I like it much better than the old one!" Howl added as Marina twirled, showing off her new look. "Nice job everyone! Let's get going!" Howl spoke as the magic chalk disappeared, sealing in the spell. "Where are we going?" Calcifer questioned as Howl placed some small pieces of wood inside the pan. Howl had the pan custom made so that he could safely take Calcifer out of the castle at will. There was a compartment for Calcifer to sit upon and another compartment below for storage. "Now that the castle is hidden, we can head out." Howl turned the dial and opened the door. "Let's go!" Marina happily began to run out the door. "Marina, you are forgetting something!" Howl caught her just as she was about to step foot outside. "Oh right!" Marina quickly ran inside and flew up the stairs. Minutes later, she came flying down with her suitcase. "What else are you forgetting?" Howl questioned as she started to go over a list in her head. "Pst kid." Calcifer whispered to get her attention. She looked over and Calcifer shaped his body into a pair of wings. "Oh, right!" She realized what else she was forgetting about and transformed back to normal. "Much better." Howl glanced down at Calcifer and smiled. Grabbing her suitcase, Marina ran out the door and past Howl. "I sure am going to miss her." Howl sighed as they watched her run off. The door had brought them outside a small secluded house by the beach that was hidden in the trees. "Yah, so am I." Calcifer admitted with a sigh. "I know Calcifer. I know." Howl spoke to lighten the mood. Howl walked towards where Marina had set her suitcase down and ran to the dock where her friends were. "Hey guys!" She called out for them as she ran towards them. "Marina!" Suzaku and Lelouch yelled as Marina ran onto the dock where they were. Howl sat down on the side of the hill that sloped down to the beach and watched them talk and play. "She sure is happy." Calcifer noted as the children laughed and pushed each other around gently. "She sure is. It's almost bittersweet. She broke the rules and found happiness. At least she was able to live a somewhat normal life near the end with us." Howl spoke before he trailed off in thought. "Yah, she has been a lot happier since that night when she snuck out and met them. She has been so full of life and energy. It's been nice." Calcifer added as they both watched the kids play from afar. They played their favorite games and had fun playfully teasing each other.