♡Chapter 4♡

The scent of wilted roses was overwhelming. Everywhere I looked there was a heavy fog. "Astolfo!" I yelled but I knew it was useless. My hands trembled as I gripped my spear tightly. I was a chassuer. I had to deal with this before anyone else died.

A thud from behind me echoed. Quickly I turned with my weapon in hand. My eyes widened. Creatures of all sorts walked past me. One was a woman with spider legs. Another was humanoid but wore a mask and moved like a puppet. Oddly, they looked like a traveling circus.

I felt my jaw hang open. What on Earth? My head felt fuzzy as I gazed into the fog. Each member of this circus disappeared in the fog. It felt like my chest was closing on me. I couldn't breathe!

"Astolfo..." I muttered in panic. Something about this place had my mind in a panic. It felt like my grip on reality was slipping as the figures became more distorted every second. Blood poured from their eyes and their jaws opened. In the back of my mind I could hear defeaning screams.

The screams grew louder and louder. They were screaming right into my ear! It was painful! Their ghastly shrieking ran through my body. "STOP!" I fell to my knees, dropping my spear to clutch my head. My eardrums were going to burst!

A hand lightly touched my chin, bringing my head up. As if instinct, my eyes opened. As soon as I met his eyes, the screaming ceased. His red and blue eyes bore into mine. His blonde hair was blinding. With his other hand, he gracefully took off his top hat.

My body felt petrified. "W-who..?" I muttered in shock, my voice barely able to escape. The man didn't say anything. A smirk grew on his face. A pricking sensation met my neck. It burned but my body was frozen and my eyes went dull.

"Mon cheŕi, you'll figure it out soon enough. An expirament you could say. After all, you are half vampire,"

My vision went black as my body fell. The pain was awful. It felt like my body was burning from the inside out!

■■■

Astolfo P.O.V

The moment Y/N left my sight I was sent into a panic. The scent of wilting roses was all I could smell. One moment she was by my side and the next she was gone.

No....no...no...no..no...NO!

Please! I can't loose anyone else! ANYONE BUT HER!

Please please please please

PLEASE

My eyes went wide as I looked everywhere frantically. In the alleyway, a figure walked into the light. "Hello....did..you like..the sur..prise?" Ilia's voice was distorted as her body barely held itself up. She looked at me with dead eyes. The stitches around her body were obvious.

Ilia wasn't a person. She's a puppet. A soul being manipulated. For a moment, a tear fell down her cheek as her stitched burst, her body falling in pieces. I watched in horror as blood spilled under her. My steps staggered as I walked forward, a newspaper.

Ilia and Rex Willows have been found as the fourth and fifth victoms-

I didn't need to read any more. Ilia had always been dead. It was as I suspected, a puppet played by the puppeteer. But she only seemed interested in Y/N when we spoke to her earlier-

My heart beat quickly inside my chest as I remembered. Was she....

I hit my head against the wall to vanish the very thought! I'm not going to loose anyone else! I'm not a child anymore. I-I'm a chasseur! I'm Astolfo and Granite.

I lost track of how long I'd been running. It felt like the longer I ran, the more twists and turns formed. There was no way I was still in the alleyway. As I ran past an alley, I caught black smoke out of the corner of my eye.

My body froze. Y/N was unconsious on the floor, her spear kicked away from her. A black smoke surrounded her body, as if to protect it. The closer I walked I realized that a man held her body in his arms. His blonde hair shone against the black of the night. His fangs were buried in her neck, her body positioned in a way that showed off her neck, as if he was taunting me.

The memories flashed through my mind. My family....my sister....vampire...

Fury filled my body as I moved without thinking, rushing forward with my spear in hand. I threw it, aimed for his head. He held his hand out, swiftly grabbing the spear. Slowly he lifted his head, removing his fangs from her neck.

His smirk was coated in her blood. He gently set her body down, stepping back to dissappear in the black smoke. In a single moment, he was gone.

"Y/N!" My mind shifted back to the situation. I ran to her side, cradling her in my arms. I could already feel the tears beginning to form. "Please, please!" I cried out. My arms held her as if she was a flower. In disbelief, my fingers traced the wound on her neck.

"ASTOLFO! Y/N!" A voice called from afar. I immediately recognized it. "ROLAND!" I shouted with all the strength I had. My eyes were stuck on the girl in my arms. Her face looked so pale. My breathing began to quicken as I started to panic.

Footsteps met my ears. Out of instinct, I held her body closer to me. "Astolfo," he breathed out. I looked up, holding onto the girl as tightly as I could. "It's just me. I promise everything will be okay," Roland gave me a smile. He looked down at Y/N and held out his arms to take her.

I held her closer protectively before I gave in and handed her limp body to Roland. "Let's go back. We'll get her wounds fixed up. I'm proud of you. She'll live but we'll want to he quick," I nodded robotically. My mind was stuck reliving the past. I followed Roland like a lost puppy, worrying about Y/N.

The sight of her blood made me furious. She was hurt. No vampire was going to touch her again.