Chapter 15

Finley

I'm giddy when I wake up to big white snowflakes falling past my window on Monday morning. This is something I thought I'd missed, something I thought I wouldn't be seeing. England in the snow just sounds so perfect that I can't believe how lucky I am.

It's early, so I know no one will be up. But I text our group chat anyway.

Me:
GUYS. THERE'S SNOW. I'M DYING.

As expected, there's no response. I pad down the stairs in my pjs, a blanket wrapped around my shoulders, and pull open the door that opens onto the yard. The familiar sound of snow meets my ears. It's the kind of sound proofing that snow does that makes the whole world sound quieter. I snap a picture of the yard and post it with the caption: English snow. So amazing.

"Beautiful, isn't it?" I jump and spin to find Amelia behind me. "Sorry. Didn't mean to startle you."

"That's ok. I didn't realize you were awake." I stare at the snow just a moment more and then close the door. I follow her into the kitchen where she already has the kettle on the stove.

"Yes, well," she says, taking out her favorite mug and a box of tea. "I'm actually heading out soon."

"Oh? Where are you going?" Amelia never goes anywhere. Her biggest outing is her weekly shopping trip on Saturdays.

"The snow is beautiful. But I don't do cold," she says, picking a tea bag and plunking it in her mug. "So, Betty and I are going to go down to Spain for a couple weeks." My jaw drops. "What?"

"That's just so cool," I breathe.

"Hopefully, it won't be cool. It will be warm." The kettle whistles, and she pours the steaming water into her mug. "She has a vacation house down there that she rents out of Airbnb. So she blocked out the next couple weeks for us so we can escape the cold."

I gather a bowl, spoon, cereal, and milk and follow her into the dining room. I can't wrap my head around owning a vacation house in Spain that I could jet off to on short notice. Also, I can't wrap my head around the fact that Amelia understands Airbnb. I tried to explain Airbnb to my mom once, and she did not get it. But it's Amelia. And Betty. I haven't met Betty, but Amelia's told me enough stories that I can't wait to actually meet her in person.

"I bet your classes will be canceled this week. We kind of shut down when it snows. We don't get snow often, so we're not exactly prepared."

"It's only been snowing for a few hours. It's like...two inches out there," I say, pouring cereal in my bowl.

She grins. "Yes, well. As I said, no one is prepared. People forget how to drive. They shut down the buses. Mark my words, you'll get an email soon."

And she's right. She leaves around ten, asking me to wish her luck as she walks stoically into the wind. I pray that she doesn't die on the way to the train station. And by noon, I have an email waiting for me in my inbox, informing all Christ Church students that campus will be closed for the rest of the week.

Max texts me as I'm reading it.

Max:

Never thought I'd have a snow day again.

I text him back just as I get a text from Harlyn and responses from everyone in the group chat. Harlyn's celebrating, too. And, as usual, Elly is responding with a line of GIFs. Looks like University of Kent has the week off, too. Max asks if I want to meet him somewhere and play in the snow, and I immediately say yes, reminding him of a park across the street from the library.