"I haven't dated anyone in almost two years," I remind Elly. If I can't defend my past self, I can at least show that I've changed. "Been too busy with school and work for romance."

"Lame," Elly says. "What about you two? Any girlfriends back home?"

"Nope," Max says. "Neither does Finley. He's gay."

I swing my gaze to Finley, whose lips are pursed tightly like he's holding his breath. He doesn't seem surprised or angry that Max blurted it. But his eyes still slide nervously from Elly's face to mine. I smile at him, hoping it's encouraging and not awkward. It feels awkward. "That's great." Finley lets out a breath.

"Um, thanks?"

"Wait, so do you have a boyfriend?" Elly asks. "Or are you looking to find one?" She shakes her shoulders a little. "I'm sure I can find you some cute boys." I roll my eyes.

Finley chuckles. "That's ok. But thank you for the offer."

Max gives Finley a disapproving look. "He won't let me set him up, either," he says.

"Because I can find my own guys, thank you," Finley snaps. Max rolls his eyes.

"Don't mind Elly," I say. "She just likes to meddle." Elly scoffs in mock hurt.

"It's ok. It's sweet," Finley assures.

"Oh, so when she offers to get you a date, it's sweet. But when I offer, I'm annoying," Max complains.

"You've been offering since I came out to you, Max," Finley says. "Six years of failed attempts has kind of dampened the effect. I know it comes from the kindness of your heart. I promise."

"How did, er, how did you two meet?" I ask, fascinated how these two, polar opposites, are best friends. Their interactions yesterday and today definitely show how close they are, but I don't have any backstory.

Max launches into a dramatic story starting with "once upon a time." How they grew up in the same small town in the States. How they've been in the same year since they were four. How Max shared his blocks with Finley and another girl named Holly on the first day of school. Finley's head ducks when Max says Holly's name. Apparently, the three of them were inseparable, all the way through school.

"We had our ups and downs, of course," Max says, sighing like he's an old man relaying a story about war. He talks about him thinking Finley was pining after Holly and Finley coming out to stop his nagging. How they told Holly soon after. But then Holly went to a different university, hours away. And they drifted apart. I tell Elly that better not happen to us, and then we're approaching our next stop.

"Ah, here we are. One of the coolest places in Canterbury," I announce.

"Says the history nerd," Elly says. We round the corner, walking along the waist high hedges. The castle looms to the left, surrounded by a chain link fence. It's falling down, so we can't go inside. But I lead the way through the little side street so we can get to the grounds.

"This is Canterbury Castle," I say, stopping just inside the gates of the castle grounds, a small area of grass around the crumbling structure with a pathway and plaques.

Max grins. "This is cool!" he says, pulling Elly along the path to read the first plaque. Elly stops, too, but she's read the plaques before. She just stares at the castle.

I turn to find Finley standing, dumbstruck, just inside the gates, scanning the ruins. It's definitely seen better days. It's kept it's square shape, but the top half is gone and the upper edge dips up and down where the stones have eroded unevenly. Someone filled one doorway with red brick and covered another with bars so no one can go in. But it's still impressive.