i'm not a groupie

INTERVIEWER : Do you remember the first time you met the Dunne Brothers?

KAREN : Of course I remember. They all looked cool. I met them before Maria, during the sound check a few hours before our show. The first person I talked to was Graham Dunne.

GRAHAM DUNNE (lead guitar, The Six) : Yes, I met Karen Karen. [smiles] She was stunning.

MARIA : The Thursday afternoon I bought a new camera in town with the money I earned. After that, I took a nap and when I woke up, it was already dark. "Shit I'm late," I thought to myself.

KAREN : Maria was late. I don't remember why, but we couldn't wait for her. So, we started the concert without our photographer.

MARIA : I ran as fast as I could, in a hurry, put on my favorite lip gloss on the way, camera over my shoulder. I heard the concert a few blocks away, a line to the bakery. The Winters had already started. So I went through the back entrance where the backstage area was. The artists' area. But the door was closed. Locked. And neither Karen nor Rod Reyes were around.

WARREN ROJAS (drummer, The Six) : We were watching the Winter's performance from backstage. They were great, but maybe a little bit soft. Whatever, I had to pee and asked Eddie if he wanted to go outside and smoke. He agreed.

MARIA : This was the fifth time I knocked on the door, hoping someone would open it for me. But no one did. I certainly wasn't goint to wait in line. Then, as the security guard approached me, I felt a taste of relief in my mouth. He was going to let me in. So I walked towards him.

THE SECURITY GUARD : I heard noises coming from the back door. So I went there. I saw a young girl tapping her foot on the door, she was also trying to open the lock with a hair clip. She was determined. When I think back, it was funny.

MARIA : He must have been my father's age. He said, "You can't enter there, you're not allowed to. You have to stand in line like everyone else."

THE SECURITY GUARD : She raised her eyebrows and replied, "I'm with the band."

MARIA : The security guard retorted something like, "And you're trying to open the door with a hair clip?" He wasn't wrong. But, that was the only thought that came to mind. Normally, I was good at it.

INTERVIEWER : Do you remember the first time you met her?

EDDIE ROUNDTREE (bassist, The Six) : Of course I remember. I remember everything.

WARREN : Damn. [laughs] It was something. I opened the back door and Eddie and I lit our cigarettes. I didn't paid much attention to the girl arguing with the security guard. Maybe i was too busy pissing and drawing pictures on the wall.

EDDIE : I heard indistinct voices behind my back and glanced behind my shoulder, watching the security guard and the curly hair of the girl with her back to me. "Miss, you won't get a privileged photo with your favorite artist if you don't get in line," he told her.

THE SECURITY GUARD : Her eyebrows furrowed as if I had just insulted her, "I am not a groupie," she replied dismayed.

MARIA : And then the man grabbed my arm. He must have had more muscle than fat in his robust body. He probably wanted to take me out of that area. But I wasn't going to let it happen. I had to get in.

THE SECURITY GUARD : Without warning she raised her voice, "Get off me! I'm not a groupie, I'm the fucking photographer, got it?"

EDDIE : Yes, at first I thought she was just another groupie, trying to sneak into the dressing rooms of her favorite artists. But she noticed me. She suddenly turned to me, staring at me.

WARREN : I was back in the game, and all I can say is that she wasn't shy at all. She looked at both of us before asking, "Are you from the Dunnes Brothers group?"

MARIA : They nodded. I mean it wasn't hard, they had style. Even a child could assume that they were in a band.

EDDIE : She slung her camera back over her shoulder, before telling us, "I'm the Winters' photographer, have you already met Karen or Rod Reyes?"

WARREN : Eddie was apparently too busy smoking his cigarette to say anything. So I simpley replied, "Oh yeah, they are all inside," with a smirk.

EDDIE : To tell you the truth, I was a little intimidated.

MARIA : I turned to the security guard with a victorious smile on my face, "See? I'm with the band." He raised his hands in surrender before responding, "Sorry miss."

SECURITY GUARD : It was a misunderstanding. I was just doing my job, just like her. Anyway, what I remember is that she had character, this little girl. She wasn't afraid to get her claws out.

MARIA : I thanked the curly haired boy, "Thanks man," before heading back to the door.

EDDIE : I don't know why I was so quiet. But I remember before she left, I asked her, "Are you going to take pictures of us?" She turned back to me and nodded, "It depends if you're a great band, is it worth it?"

MARIA : He answered me, "Stay and you'll see."

EDDIE : She smiled and left, and all I did was smoke while Warren winked at me.

INTERVIEWER : What was your first impression of each other?

EDDIE : I didn't know her name yet. But all I could say at the time was that she was gorgeous. Her eyes. I mean, no matter what words I choose, I couldn't describe how beautiful they were that night. They were mesmerizing.

MARIA : His smile. . . It almost made me blush.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

notes:

Hi and welcome !

I hope you enjoy my fanfiction already :)

Thank you for your support and votes,

See you soon,

-lux