9. Bruxism

June 21st, 2015

Louisiana's mid-summer heat was getting more unbearable by the day. It was almost Madi's sixteenth birthday, meaning we had to prepare for it. And by we, I mean mostly me. And by prepare, I mean I put it off until the last few weeks before her birthday. She's lucky our mom had saved up some money, knowing she'd want to go all-out for her sweet 16.

"I don't have anybody to cater or a place big enough for the five-thousand people she wants to invite," I complained.

You and I were sitting on the couch in his makeshift recording studio while we waited for Aris to finally perfect his lyrics. It took Aris a while to get used to the idea of someone else being in the studio, but he eventually came around.

You were looking over my shoulder, while I searched for hotels. She wanted a Breakfast at Tiffany's themed party and to have a sleepover party with her 10 closest friends.

"You need a venue?" Aris interjected, his bloodshot eyes looking up from his notepad. "Bro my dad owns a restaurant. I got you!"

"Really? You could do that for us?" I sighed with relief. That was probably the most stressful part of this whole ordeal; can't have a party without a ton of food. She had found a beautiful tiffany blue dress that she looked like royalty in, and she knew exactly who she wanted to invite, so that was all settled.

Aris called his dad, who agreed to shut down his restaurant early for a few hours on the following Wednesday. The only catch was that I had to provide and cook all the food and clean up after myself, which isn't a problem.

"I owe you one! You're a lifesaver, oh my god," I said, giving Aris a hug. "Are you two busy on Wednesday the 24th?"

"Are you recruiting us to help you with your sister's birthday party?" you asked with a laugh.

"I was just inviting you as a guest, but if you insist on helping, I would deeply appreciate it."

"Damn," Aris said. "She got us good."

June 24th, 2015

The next week had come and gone, just as most things do in my life. It was mostly spent gathering all the supplies I needed for the party and planning.

Thankfully, the kids, Carmen's family, you, and Aris did assist in the preparation of the party. Nico and Aris were on decorations. Carmen's mom and dad oversaw food. You and Carmen's brother, Jose, rearranged the restaurant. Sadie babysat at home, while Madi got ready. I picked up the cake and made sure everything ran as planned.

As guests arrived, Aris set up the music while Nico and I set up a computer so our mom could video chat with us. Technology is amazing in allowing us to video chat with our mom instead of driving to Michigan for visits, but it's expensive so we typically rely on phone calls. It's also distressing for Sadie and Troy to see our mom, but not in person.

"Oh my god!" my mom exclaimed as she saw our faces appear on the screen. Nico went and rounded up our other siblings so we could catch up before everyone else arrived. My mom talked about how big Troy has gotten or asked how Sadie's grades have been or other aspects of my sibling's lives until she asked all there was to ask.

On cue, some guests started to arrive. I told Madi to start greeting her friends who had arrived, and the others filed out of the room as well. As quickly as it started, we ended the conversation. We tried to savor the time, but there was only so much we can do.

A few hours later, after almost everyone was gone, I couldn't find you anywhere. Figuring you got bored or needed some air, I went outside first, where I spotted you across the street, by the docks, with Aris. I headed over there, but you couldn't hear my approach over the traffic. Your backs were turned to me, but I could catch glimpses of what you were doing. Aris was pouring something from an orange pill bottle into your hand. After you dry swallowed the pill, that's when you spotted me.

"Oh shit," Aris said. He didn't even acknowledge anything else before leaving the scene.

"Adrienne," you pleaded. "It's not what it looks like."

"Really?" I walked closer to you. "Because it looks like you're taking pills at my sister's birthday party."

You didn't respond for a while. I had never wanted to be more wrong in my life, but your silence and the lack of eye contact said it all.

"I don't know what to say," you said, finally looking me in the eye.

"I just want you to say something at this point."

"I've had a problem for a while," you said, gesturing for me to walk with you. We walked away from the party, while you explained the situation. "I promise you I'm trying to quit. It's not easy, but I'm trying. If you give me a chance, I'll show you I mean it."

We continued walking in circles around the restaurant. You told me you had been struggling with getting sober for a while, specifically with Roxicodone this time. I wanted to walk away but I couldn't bring myself to do it. Behind the deception, I saw the Scott I knew who was trying.

"My mom has been an addict for most of my life and my dad drank until the day he died. I don't know what it's like, but I know what's like to love someone who is and I know what it's like to never be good enough to stop. I don't want to be second best."

"You'll always be my priority. I'll go to a meeting, I'll go to therapy, I'll check myself into detox. I don't care, just tell me what I can do to show you I mean it. I want this to work."

"I don't think I can answer that," I said. I wouldn't even know where to begin. "If you promise me that you're going to make an attempt, then I trust you'll do the right thing."

"I promise," you said, sticking out your pinky finger.